Worst thing that's happened to you on a bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Riding through deep snow across Eaton Park, a solid stick went through the back wheel and made its way to the rack struts to apply some braking force and lock up the pedals, resulting in a skid followed by a little lie down on aforementioned deep snow. Very cold!

I'm tempted to mention stopping to figure out why my tyres were picking up the red colour from the redways, only for my brother to coast past me around the corner and meet the road roller still laying the section we were riding on... but brother nearly meets road roller isn't so bad, is it? ;)

Smudge

Veteran
Cant remember anything bad happening to me while being on a bike..... on a motorcycle is a different story.
This happened last year, while i was on it.

IMG_20170507_121642.jpg

Most of us have bonked and it's very unpleasant.

Early one morning, when I lived in Stockholm, I thought I'd take a quick 60 km ride south of the city and then take the train back in time to watch the FA Cup Final with a mate in the pub.

It was mid May (probably) and the weather was dry and fair and about 15 degrees. I had bib shorts and a short-sleeved top and a light jacket. I had two water bottles but no other form of sustenance. I looked at the map before hand and thought I knew where I was heading. After an hour, the weather changed for the worst: the temperature dropped and it began to drizzle quite heavily. The directions for my destination ceased to show the way and I got lost.

The rain got heavier, I got more frustrated and my body started to complain. After another hour or so, more or less going in the 'right' direction, I bonked and nearly fell of the bike. I tried pushing the bike for a bit but it was as difficult, if not as impossible, as riding it. I decided to lay by the side of the road in the grass for 15-20 minutes hoping my strength would return whilst getting soaked to the skin.

I managed to muster some energy from somewhere and staggered along for a few more kilometres and, prayers answered, I found a petrol station.

I drank three cans of coke (something I never drink) ate a hot dog, three currant buns and three Mars bars very quickly. I got directions from the fella at the petrol station and had about a 15 minute ride to a train station which would get me back to the city. Got back to my flat, ate as much as I could then had a LONG HOT shower and started to feel human again.

It was a crap game of football but the beers were good and plentiful.

OP
OP
stalagmike

stalagmike

Enormous member
My submission was very similar - it occurred just last year. Two of us were cycling around a corner at a boisterous pace when I heard the unmistakable sound of a puncture. I looked down to too if I could confirm it, looked up and headed straight into a ford at too fast a speed and mid turn. Both wheels out sideways from under me and my partner did the same. The funniest part was wading downstream to pick up floating water bottles. The not so funny part was repairing a puncture whilst absolutely soaking wet and leaking blood.
Crossing a ford is one I hadn't thought of. I'll watch out for them.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Or maybe it's when I was on a reliability ride and I got dropped on a long drag and an overtaking rider said "awwww, didn't they wait for you?"

Top Bottom