Worst thing that's happened to you on a bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Ok, we'll maybe need to pause the thread until we get an agreed definition of serious.

I would suggest @Dayvo 2 nights in hospital and a month recovering is about the max. We'll probably need some more details from @Drago about this broken leg as it's highly unlikely to be a simple fracture.
Time in hospital and recovery time should deffo be included in the definition: I'm happy to agree that anything less than 2 nights/one month is "not serious".
Also, and I'm guessing here re Drago's injury, but anything which requires you administering your own medical intervention, whether it be using a knitting needle and a bail of twine to stitch up a nasty cut or having to insert some plausible household implement into an orifice that means eyebrows are not raised...

Drago

Legendary Member
I would suggest @Dayvo 2 nights in hospital and a month recovering is about the max. We'll probably need some more details from @Drago about this broken leg as it's highly unlikely to be a simple fracture.

I was only 8, so don't recall the technical details. All I know it was below the knee and was both bones, and hurt! It was my infamous, Ill fated attempt to break the sound barrier on a Raleigh Chopper. Alas, transonic buffering borked the attempt.

The BBC did a reconstruction for World Of Sport...

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yr02n1b8sUE

Stephenite

Membå
It's difficult to answer this without injury or physical discomfort playing a major part.

The 'worst' thing for me has been where i've found myself far from home thirsty, hungry and no money (or phone for what its worth).

OP
OP
stalagmike

stalagmike

Enormous member
My thinking was that 'serious' would mean death or injuries requiring hospital treatment. @Stephenite that kind of thing was what I meant. Getting lost miles from anywhere for example or colliding with an errant window cleaners ladder.

Seevio

Guru
It was my infamous, Ill fated attempt to break the sound barrier on a Raleigh Chopper.
I tried the same thing on a Raleigh Tomahawk. It was messy.

For those that weren't familiar with the tomahawk, it was the junior version of the Chopper in the same way that the Striker was the junior version of the Grifter. The Tomahawk's back wheel was the same size as the Chopper's front wheel.

colly

Re member eR
Riding a 25 which coincided with a triathlon, I followed the instructions of the wrong marshal and headed down ever narrower lanes, overtaking all riders. until I saw more marshals. Upon enquiry I realised my mistake and made my way back to the course.
Surprisingly enough, I wasn't last.
I bet you thought you were on a fizzer passing all those riders

Drago

Legendary Member
Let's class serious as being brown bread, or in a coma for in excess of a year?

Last edited:

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
The worst moments have been wiped from my memory by the sheer joy of cycling. How about that !

Apart from that time putting the wrong foot down as I leaned around a corner behind Waterlooville library. A teenage lesson never to be forgotten.

IBarrett

Über Member
The worst moments have been wiped from my memory by the sheer joy of cycling. How about that !

Apart from that time putting the wrong foot down as I leaned around a corner behind Waterlooville library. A teenage lesson never to be forgotten.
The mind boggles as to how you managed to get your outside foot down while leaning into a corner. If it wasn't such an obvious recipe for a trip to the tarmac I'd have to try it to see.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
My house is on a bus route, and the buses turn right from a main road onto it. I was at the junction where the buses turn and there was a bus signalling to turn in.
Because of the narrowness of the road and the length of the bus, you have to get out of the way if the bus is turning in, which is what I did one morning. To my shock and horror, the bus was going straight on. My assumption that the signalling bus was turning was WRONG and I was so nearly toast. He missed me by inches.

Oldbloke

Guru
Riding "no hands" on an old bitsa when I was 12ish, the light bracket on the fork became so loose it jammed in the front wheel and shot me over the bars, face first into a conveniently placed recently demolished brick wall. Broken teeth & a mouth the size of a boxing glove!

Dave7

Legendary Member
As teenagers 3 of us were cycling along the paths on Moel Famau (North Wales).
As it was raining we were all wearing our yellow oil skin capes (it was 1963:smile: )
Going fast down a slope one of the lads failed to stop and went straight through the reeds and straight into the river.
Needles to say we were laughing too much to help him.

Top Bottom