Worst thing that's happened to you on a bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sjw

Smacked across the face by an overhanging branch. Stung! I ride out of the gutter now

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Once forgot my lock when I visited the dentists ~ so as a potential thief 'trap' I undid my quick release on my front wheel

Came out after having had filling/s & forgot about above ...

Got all the way home ~ a couple of miles and a big roundabout

Got to my drive ~ eased my wheel up over the dropped kerb ...

Wheel then decided to disembark, my forks instantly dropped to the floor ~ followed by chin hitting my bars, 'luckily I was still numb' from the anesthetic (at the time)

Wheel carried on down the drive until it hit the garage door ....

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Getting covered in sloppy cow dung. Club mate cycled through a load of it whilst I was on his wheel. Covered.

Same clubmate, we drafted a big tractor at about 30 mph. Didn't think about the trailer of poo until we got home and stunk the place out.

Being given stern relationship advice by a certain Italian lady on a storm-lashed Islay in front of everyone else and deciding to ride in the other direction on the pretense of visiting an ATM so that no-one would see my face turn every colour in the spectrum :cry:

Either that or day 1 of my Pyrenean Raid where I got heat exhaustion so bad that my vision turned monochrome, I averaged 2.3mph up the Col d'Osquich, had to get in the van 6 miles from the stage end, and projectile-repainted the hotel on arrival.

classic33

Leg End Member
Rode into a spilt load from a muck spreader, at speed, on my way to work. Spill was on a hill so had run down the road.

IBarrett

Über Member
Do you per chance know a village called West Leake and the pub in called The Star Inn?
I know The Pit House as it’s known locally very well.great food and Bass beer. I’m overdue a visit actually.

Why do you ask?

Last edited:

Sharky

Guru
I've had my fair share of crashes, resulting in a few injuries, but of the more light hearted incidents:-

- On a long solo ride when on "tubs", carrying two spare tubs and had three punctures!
- Rushing to an early morning 25 with my Dad. He pulled up about 10mins before my start time. Bike out of the boot and made it, but was in the wrong gear and it was a plastic Simplex lever. Thrust the lever down but it snapped and went into my hand. Rode the whole of the race in top gear with blood coming from my hand.
- Probably a few more but they all happened too long ago to remember.

Well technically I wasn't on the bike when I fractured my skull. I suppose that's the worst.

Lots of lighter moments. Misjudging a corner hung over and splatting, cartoon style, into a sandtone wall like a human fly. Banging into the gate that normally opened, with my feet still in my toeclips, to find that it didn't and slowly toppling sideways in front of a bus queue of people. Gently coasting towards some temporary lights head down to discover when I looked up the lights were right in front of me and my only option was to embrace them and slide down in an untidy heap.

A few desperate bonks, including one where I just had reached the point I couldn't function, rolling past refreshment stops just unable to tell myself to stop and then just about managing at the last place and then finding I couldn't focus to read the menu and just pointing and asking for tea as well. When the world swam into view I had a chicken pie and some apple crumble (not on the same plate) and no memory of the last 15 miles and thousands of midge bites where I'd fallen into a ditch and just lay there.

But mostly, not many bad memories and even the bad ones have some light relief.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Once forgot my lock when I visited the dentists ~ so as a potential thief 'trap' I undid my quick release on my front wheel
I wouldn't trust myself to remember that, so I usually just set the shifters to drop the chain (put it in big-biggish and set the shifters for small-small - easier to do with friction levers) but I'd probably not leave the bike long enough for a dentist visit.

[QUOTE 5404744, member: 76"]Honestly he wasn't seriously injured and the amount of laughs he gave everyone else stood near the M Shed as he disappeared across the road and into a low chain fence was basically a public service:eek:[/QUOTE]
:eek: Could have been far worse. A rider died falling into the harbour near M Shed. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-28197993

Top Bottom