Worst thing that's happened to you on a bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Given the 'serious' definition suggested I'll leave out the one where I punched a massive hole in my lower leg as a child, or the massive crash in 2016 where I smashed myself to bits.

So many. How do you choose just one.

Or maybe it was racing through a tunnel under the M1 and as I got to the bottom some plonker rode across the tunnel exit on his bike. The resulting collision threw me straight over the bars like superman. The landing grazed so many places but mainly my hip where I still have a scar.

Riding past the M1 tunnel exit as a youngster growing up in Nottingham some eejit came hurtling out thinking they were racing. Didn't they see the 'stop' sign?

Crash, bang, me in the mud but I think they hurt more :tongue:

Oh, and riding to Holme Pierrepoint for running training I took a 'short cut', which turned into a drop, which meant I landed on the front wheel (crinkling it) and hit certain bits of my anatomy on the stem. Attempting to run later didn't work well, particularly for the girl there I was trying to impress. And failed at. Badly.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I bet you thought you were on a fizzer passing all those riders

Nah. I know how fast I am, so I soon suspected that these weren't fellow testers.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Many years ago when cycling in my teens with the local ctc we were crossing a ford and i needed to pedal to save stopping mid stream instead of getting traction the wheel just slipped from underneath the bike and dumped me in the stream , as you can imagine all the others just crossed over and laughed ... bless them

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Many years ago when cycling in my teens with the local ctc we were crossing a ford and i needed to pedal to save stopping mid stream instead of getting traction the wheel just slipped from underneath the bike and dumped me in the stream , as you can imagine all the others just crossed over and laughed ... bless them

My submission was very similar - it occurred just last year. Two of us were cycling around a corner at a boisterous pace when I heard the unmistakable sound of a puncture. I looked down to too if I could confirm it, looked up and headed straight into a ford at too fast a speed and mid turn. Both wheels out sideways from under me and my partner did the same. The funniest part was wading downstream to pick up floating water bottles. The not so funny part was repairing a puncture whilst absolutely soaking wet and leaking blood.

IBarrett

Über Member
Given the 'serious' definition suggested I'll leave out the one where I punched a massive hole in my lower leg as a child, or the massive crash in 2016 where I smashed myself to bits.

Riding past the M1 tunnel exit as a youngster growing up in Nottingham some eejit came hurtling out thinking they were racing. Didn't they see the 'stop' sign?

Crash, bang, me in the mud but I think they hurt more :tongue:

Oh, and riding to Holme Pierrepoint for running training I took a 'short cut', which turned into a drop, which meant I landed on the front wheel (crinkling it) and hit certain bits of my anatomy on the stem. Attempting to run later didn't work well, particularly for the girl there I was trying to impress. And failed at. Badly.
Here is a strange coincidence for you then.
I was born in Dewsbury and raised in Kettlethorpe, Horbury and Ossett areas but am now exiled from the motherland down here in Nottingham.

You'll know the 1in6 hill I mentioned - Storrs Hill from Horbury Bridge to Ossett.
The tunnel needs a bit more local knowledge and is south of M1 J40 joining the fields on both sides there. You can tell there is a tunnel by the paths across the 'mountains' as we called them.

Last edited:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I got on a bike when I was 6. I liked it. Its has cost me a fortune. Had I hated it. I may have been a millionare by now.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Not happened to me as such,but does the fear of it happening count? If so,i have two major ones. The first is where i'm just cycling along and a wagon passes me causing the road ahead to suddenly weaken, so by the time i reach it a large sink hole happens and i drop about 30 feet below!:eek: The second is where i'm riding half asleep and there's a removals van with its back down after a house has been emptied ready to take its furniture up to somewhere like Aberdeen or down to Cornwall. This happened to Harold Steptoe's horse and cart in 'Steptoe Rides Again', when he fell asleep and ended up hundreds of miles away. Me being half asleep,i ride up the ramp,then the driver puts the back up before setting off to either of those destinations,with me thumping loudly inside trying to attract his attention.:whistle:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I was born in Dewsbury and raised in Kettlethorpe, Horbury and Ossett areas but am now exiled from the motherland down here in Nottingham.

You'll know the 1in6 hill I mentioned - Storrs Hill from Horbury Bridge to Ossett.
The tunnel needs a bit more local knowledge and is south of M1 J40 joining the fields on both sides there. You can tell there is a tunnel by the paths across the 'mountains' as we called them.

I know the hill well and the tunnel as it's on my 'longer' commute home - I live between Ossett and Dewsbury. I'm not 'Yorkshire' though, and probably never will be as I grew up just south of the River Trent in Nottingham.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
As a teenager in the early 70's I was standing up on the pedals going uphill. One of my feet slipped off of the pedal and I landed on the crossbar very hard, severely hurting my undercarriage. Then I fell off the bike, in a heap, in a lot of pain.:blush:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Seeing as i can't waffle on about my broken bones and sight loss due to cycling:whistle:, i'll tell you about the time i was off road at dusk on one of those badly maintained cycle paths. Luckily for me my helmet took the force of that chunky overhanging branch. I was knocked off,falling backwards when again the helmet took the impact,this time being the tarmac.

Dave7

Legendary Member

Do you per chance know a village called West Leake and the pub in called The Star Inn?

Top Bottom