Worst thing that's happened to you on a bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stalagmike

Enormous member
What's the most nightmarish thing that has happened to you (or you have seen) while you've been out cycling, that's NOT resulted in serious injury to yourself or others. For example, you accidentally rode into a lake...or cycled through a deer carcass...or had both wheels fall of at the same time like a clown's car BUT you were ok?

OP
OP
stalagmike

stalagmike

Enormous member
Mine is going ass over tit after colliding with a badger on a night ride. Big buggers when you see them up close!

Levo-Lon

Guru
Injuries galore ,whats not to like about cycling.
My very first ride unaided resulted in a permanent scar on my knee aged about 3-4.right up to cracked ribs otb onto a tree stump in 2015, been ok for a while bar scratches and bruises

IBarrett

Über Member
So many. How do you choose just one.

2 of my childhood ‘experiences’

Lost the bike on a corner racing down a 1in6 hill. Skated across the road until the kerb collected me but which I then slid down with the corner up my arse. It wore through my jeans, then my arse. I couldn’t sit for days.

Or maybe it was racing through a tunnel under the M1 and as I got to the bottom some plonker rode across the tunnel exit on his bike. The resulting collision threw me straight over the bars like superman. The landing grazed so many places but mainly my hip where I still have a scar.

Or more recently, when I rode across the road at traffic lights on 3 way junction. I cut across to the centre island and lifted my front wheel up the big kerb, and planted it right on the edge. This compressed my front suspension enough to very gently roll me over the bars onto my face, and still clipped in then into the road in front of a very amused woman in her car at the lights. No injuries other than to my pride.
But I did untangle myself, get up and take a bow. To receive applause from the car driver.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
A fairly innocuous fall which resulted in me getting tangled up with the bike and a dropped handlebar end contacting with an area you don't really want a handlebar end. Quite errr bruised for a couple of weeks :blush:
edit, not a serious injury though (compared to the serious injuries)

Last edited:
What's the most nightmarish thing that has happened to you (or you have seen) while you've been out cycling, that's NOT resulted in serious injury to yourself or others. For example, you accidentally rode into a lake...or cycled through a deer carcass...or had both wheels fall of at the same time like a clown's car BUT you were ok?
Mmmm, maybe if that bit is highlighted we'll not get as many reports of injuries. I doubt it tho.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Riding a 25 which coincided with a triathlon, I followed the instructions of the wrong marshal and headed down ever narrower lanes, overtaking all riders. until I saw more marshals. Upon enquiry I realised my mistake and made my way back to the course.
Surprisingly enough, I wasn't last.

Top Bottom