Worth making a tourer out of this ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
doog

doog

I went ahead and bought a bike stand. People were raving about it on another thread and for £38 inc delivery it seems to be a solid bit of kit. So much so I have spent a few days just looking at it and wondering how the hell they can make something so solid for that price !

Here is the link http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150544733103?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:blush:T&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Anyway, new brake and gear cables (both inners and outers fitted). I read a tip somewhere that road SKS mudguards are ideal for 1.5 inch mtb slicks. I have a pair so have done a quick fit on the front and looks like its will workl

Simply need to apply bar tape to the butterfly bars (going to double tape) and set up brakes and gearing and bobs your uncle.

Quick photo of the brilliant stand!

d36eb12a-9cf6-4c65-b99d-78592e4d73d4_zpsba9567d4.jpg

baldycyclist

Über Member
looking almost ready for some mountains! What is the roadie?

OP
OP
doog

doog

looking almost ready for some mountains! What is the roadie?

Thats the Tricross posted earlier in the thread and below. Not really comfortable touring on Carbon forks, gearing was never quite right when fully loaded on the big Col's and its now on the turbo. Will be looking for a pure road bike soon, fancy a CAAD10 but that will be for another thread I guess.

013-1.jpg

OP
OP
doog

doog

A conclusion to this thread. The bike is finished and came in at bang on £200 for a steel framed touring bike with hardy components that should last me many years.

The frame is a Chromo 4130 steel framed Raleigh 90's MTB frame that I had been previously been using on a Turbo. I replaced the bottom bracket and put on a chainset suitable for any terrain 44-32-22, with a 11-32 cassette that gives me under 18 gear inches, so suitable for spinning up virtually anything. The wheelset is handbuilt, 36 spoke and should be capable of carrying me plus heavy loads. New brake / gear cables and the SRAM shifters combine nicely with chainset and new front mech. The tyres are City jets, fast rolling. I serviced the headset and fitted butterfly bars, double wrapped and are really comfortable . The mudguards are my old SKS road bike guards, which fit nicely.

The whole thing feels solid and comfortable, it really plants itself onto the road with an assured confidence. Here it is kitted out with my racks and panniers fitted. Saddle post sprayed with hammerite tonight as was a bit scruffy- needs to come down to fit and stick on the Brooks -All that money saved on not buying a purpose built tourer has gone towards a new road bike.

To do now are fit mountain morph pump, bar bag, saddle bag, bottles, Garmin mounts etc and book the ferry ticket!

One bit of advice - buy a bike stand- invaluable.

35cfd18d-6b6e-4949-ba52-f2d961faebfa_zps8954affc.jpg

Brilliant. Well done - a useful lesson here for some I think.
You're going to have some very relaxed fun on that I think.
Out of interest, what is the headset you serviced?

OP
OP
doog

doog

Out of interest, what is the headset you serviced?

Its the original threaded headset I believe. The bearings / races were like new, so cleaned up and re-greased. My only concern was the adjustment / tightening as never done this before so followed Sheldons instructions and it seems fine. Had an issue with the original front mech (Suntour) in that when I fitted the new chainset it lacked the reach to get into the big cog so ended up buying a new front mech for £15 which took me bang up to the budget .(the budget was more of a fun thing as I believe there is probably a limit you should apply to an old Raleigh MTB frame ) I intended to get my LBS to fine tune the gearing but ended up doing it myself and learnt a load more in the process.

ah
I inch maybe?
All steel including races?

My hybrid sometime tourer (circa 97) has a steel headset - been mightily abused and no maintenance at all until very recently as I was somewhat wary of touching the mysteries of headsets. Recently took it apart and replaced caged ball bearings - races pretty much perfect. I well remember taking the bike to a London Dr Bike and the mechanic said that these steel headsets last forever - I think mine may be some generic or Tange Campag copy.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
That seatpost looks to be out a long way out, you really need to have at least 2 1/2" inside the frame to avoid over stressing or even breaking it or the tube.

OP
OP
doog

doog

That seatpost looks to be out a long way out, you really need to have at least 2 1/2" inside the frame to avoid over stressing or even breaking it or the tube.

post #35 ...'Saddle post sprayed with hammerite tonight as was a bit scruffy- needs to come down to fit and stick on the Brooks '. I have 2 inches to spare but the grief in working out exact post width has caused me a headache. Im aware of seat post failure on tour and its probably something I would like to avoid.

OP
OP
doog

doog

looking good doogie - mine is ok but not as fancy as yours....might get it out sometime

Dont be deceived,my frame is a bit ragged close up but having visited a few towns in Spain and southern France in particular, I would rather they didnt take a second look and they probably wont. I dont think you will go wrong with your frame choice, probably a bit more of a versatile choice than my project and a good name too. Best of luck with it.

OP
OP
doog

doog

I only had 2 inches, so took your advice. Managed to source a 400 mm replacement for a tenner from ebay. Size was unusual in that it was a 26mm.

Top Bottom