Worth rebuilding Mavic Aksiums?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

straas

Matt
I've got a pair of Aksiums that have worn out after <1000 miles. I arranged for a return, but then they went under - then we had a baby, so nothing got sorted.

The hubs etc are pretty untouched, so is there any point in looking to get them rebuilt with new rims or would the cost / benefit not work out?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Don't bother. You'll possibly struggle to find a matching front rim to the rear due to the low spoke count. How did they wear, the rims ?

Depending upon use, cleaning, then it's possible to wear them out. Commuting in towns is heavy on rims.

You could try and get some cheaper handbuilt wheels made up.

OP
OP
straas

straas

Matt
Thought that might be the case

The rear rim sort of collapsed in and the front is concave.

City riding with lots of braking, but the shortest life I've had out of rims by a very large margin.

fossyant

OK, City wheels, hand built option. Pick a decent hub - TBH I quite like formula hubs - they are fully re-buildable - I had these on my fixed gear and could easily replace the cartridge bearings. I also have Formula hubs on my MTB, and have changed both the hub and freehub bearings.

With hand built, you can just get the rim replaced if it wears out. Ridida/Ryde do a semi aero rim (DP18) that's strong and builds into a tough wheel.

I used to wear out rims on my fixed commuter in 18 months - or about 8000 miles. I did clean the rims /bike after every wet ride.

Cripes - these sorts of wheels are an unknown area to me - and thankfully so - worn out after less than a thousand miles and you effectively have to dump the hubs as well? Almost makes motoring look green. And makes handbuilt wheels with replaceable rims positively cheap.

fossyant

Cripes - these sorts of wheels are an unknown area to me - and thankfully so - worn out after less than a thousand miles and you effectively have to dump the hubs as well? Almost makes motoring look green. And makes handbuilt wheels with replaceable rims positively cheap.

Factory wheels usually have to be dumped. Mavic have funny spoke counts and also use a mix of J bend spokes and straight pull, and certain models have stupid alloy nipples (not Aksiums). Unless the OP can get spare Aksium rims.

Factory wheels usually have to be dumped. Mavic have funny spoke counts and also use a mix of J bend spokes and straight pull, and certain models have stupid alloy nipples (not Aksiums). Unless the OP can get spare Aksium rims.
Thanks for the info - sod all that - I'd just build a landfill pit under the factory and dump the production run straight into it - my Dahon speed pro not a cheap bike - over a grand full price years ago - came with alloy nipple wheels - fun bike but crap wheels.

fossyant

Thanks for the info - sod all that - I'd just build a landfill pit under the factory and dump the production run straight into it - my Dahon speed pro not a cheap bike - over a grand full price years ago - came with alloy nipple wheels - fun bike but crap wheels.

It's why I had hand built on my commuter (or factory using standard components). I have three sets of Mavic wheels, 2 road, 1 MTB, and they are damn reliable, but, should the rims go, it's new wheels. Hence the move to disc brakes really for commuting.

My FS MTB is just generic formula hubs, Mavic rims and standard spokes. The hub is a doddle to service, and being disc, unless I bend the rim, I'll keep these going. In the event of a bent rim, I'll order another rim, and rebuild it.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Shimano Parallax hubs are also great, if you can find some used laced to a half decent rim they will serve you well.
Junk the Aksiums.

davidphilips

Veteran
Winter/wet weather is hard on rims, only advice i can offer would be to keep the pads clean and keep checking for any bits of alloy lodged in pads.
Know disc brakes have advantages over rim brakes and winter cycling must be one of there best points even if i still dont like them.

It's why I had hand built on my commuter (or factory using standard components). I have three sets of Mavic wheels, 2 road, 1 MTB, and they are damn reliable, but, should the rims go, it's new wheels. Hence the move to disc brakes really for commuting.
No need to go to discs because of that issue.

You can buy pretty economical quality wheels with good shimano hubs from Taylor Wheels. And they will sell you new rims. I'd never personally buy any wheels where you couldn't get spare rims.

I'm still using 40 yearmild wheels almost daily and havent worn the rims out yet. Makes me wonder what folk are doing to them.
it's my (unfortunate) understanding that many rims have been getting thinner.
In the interests* of continuous improvement.

(* might not necessarily sync with the interests of the user)

(Me - for all but bikes where I might be putting in a bit of moderate speed, I'll be sticking with Sputniks - and doing a fair bit of regular therapeutic cleaning)

Ajax Bay

Guru
City riding with lots of braking, but the shortest life I've had out of rims by a very large margin.
Agree that 1000 miles and rim failure is ridiculous. But this is not a general rim-braked wheel issue but surely just poor rims.
Amazing that rim brakes seem to have provided the required deceleration mechanism for 'city riding' bicycles for over a century.
Maybe the OP is 'massive' and sprints to max speed after every lights and approaches every set of lights hoping to get through them before red amber.

Top Bottom