Worth rebuilding Mavic Aksiums?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Agree that 1000 miles and rim failure is ridiculous. But this is not a general rim-braked wheel issue but surely just poor rims.
+1
tho "poor" is a very tactful phrase.
I'd be more direct.
By far.
FFS I'd expect more out of a cheap pair of socks/underpants.
Worth rebuilding?
They are clearly not worth buying.

Nick Saddlesore

Über Member
FFS I'd expect more out of a cheap pair of socks/underpants.
Hmmm.... 1000 mile underpants. Could be a marketing opportunity there.

JhnBssll

Veteran
I've just begrudgingly scrapped some Aksium disc wheels. The nipples had seized making it impossible to true them. I looked in to replacing the spokes but theyre mavic specials and at nearly 3 quid each it didn't seem worth it. The bearings were great, real shame. Mavic need to pull their socks up, this sort of behaviour really isn't good enough.

JhnBssll

Veteran
If the Aksium Discs are anything to go by you'd need to find a replacement rim with the same or smaller ERD as you'll only be able to buy Mavic spokes to suit the standard ERD. These can of course be cut down to a certain degree, with new threads rolled on, just depends how much cost and effort you're prepared to go to I guess.

Mavic need to pull their socks up, this sort of behaviour really isn't good enough.
Wouldn't count on it - it's my understanding that they significantly reduced the amount of metal/braking surface on the rather good CXP22 rims - I had a wheel built with them.
But folk can now with studied casualness direct folk to the Elite branding on their new thinner rims.
Can only think that the tactic is designed to make folk return more quickly to Mavic for a repeat purchase.
Not me.
I managed to get some old non elite rims on ebay from someone who had them in his garage from an abandoned build project.
After they have worn out, goodbye Mavic.

I’ve got a set off aksuim rim wheels done 1000s of miles. Been a great buy and I’m really hashy with wheels !!
Have they possibly changed the spec since you got yours? Am afraid after learning about the cxp22 jiggery pokery i no longer trust mavic. They could always have kept the cxp22 spec and line and introduced the elite range "above" it, possibly with a free "gullible idiot" team jersey for the first few thousand who jumped at them.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Bought I think 2014 ?? As I say maybe been lucky but never really used the n wet weather until recently ? It fitted my budget at the time !?

Top Bottom