Wot, no brakes - ? !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

"When coaster brakes fail (usually the result of chain breakage or derailment) they fail suddenly and completely."

That is a pretty big issue.

Yes, if you haven't got a front brake you are going straight to the scene of the accident.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I think "Universal Cycles" acquired the name in 2001 - and flooded Argos with crap
Universal Cycles were an OK 1970s/80s sub-Raleigh wannabe ("made in Rayleigh" :laugh:) but well into their decline by then and then Sports Direct got hold of the brand (bought, got some sort of tie-in deal, not sure...), didn't they?

I actually have the shorts and shoes from SD. Shorts are OK for short distances. SPD MTB shoes are great and look like normal trainers
Last I saw, the shorts are the equivalent of thick unsculpted gel saddles and the MTB shoes crack across the toes fairly quick.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Universal Cycles were an OK 1970s/80s sub-Raleigh wannabe ("made in Rayleigh" :laugh:) but well into their decline by then and then Sports Direct got hold of the brand (bought, got some sort of tie-in deal, not sure...), didn't they?

Last I saw, the shorts are the equivalent of thick unsculpted gel saddles and the MTB shoes crack across the toes fairly quick.

You are correct, Sports Direct own the Muddy Fox brand.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully

I got the baggy MTB shorts. Padding is actually Sponge - but they are OK for short rides and commute.

The shoes I have are not the road, or pseudo leather MTB type - but the SPD trainers

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Saw some guy with what appeared to be a brakeless fixed at the local station once. He got on, rode off. Then I watched him freewheel a bit as he turned out of the station.

Gnarly!

Although perhaps it did have a coaster brake and I missed it.

Also I have this recurring dream when I'm riding fixed but I can stop pedalling just like that with no problem but it's unnerving because I can't work out how it's mechanically possible so I'm really nervous. Wake up in a sweat usually.

OP
OP
simongt

simongt

Guru
Could be a coaster brake if single speed rather than fixed
Don't think so; looked like a regular rear axle to me. That is assuming coaster brakes are still rear axle fitted, as they were when I were 'lad. Not that I ever trusted them - too easy to lock the rear wheel unless you were very skilled in their use, or just plain lucky - ! :rofl:

OP
OP
simongt

simongt

Guru
Having just watched some of the New York video, the answer to riding a brakeless fixie is obvious - ride as fast as possible, ignore all conditions that may cause you to stop and don't give a monkey's about folk legally using pedestrian crossings. I'm amazed that no-one shoved any of them off their bikes; I probably would have done under the circumstances. :evil:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I've never quite been able to work out the rules for USA crosswalks and whether they're like the UK zebras in that cyclists may overtake on the approach and enter the crossing as long as they give way to walkers.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Wear decent gloves, palm of the hand firmly pressed on the front tyre and you'll be surprised how much speed you can knock off. Not enough if a car pulls out in front of you at the last second, granted, but you'll get by most of the time.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Strangely, when I am commuting on the single speed - I hardly use the brakes at all (apart from the bottom of the hill on the return journey, or the occasional brain surgeon cutting me up).

I've learned to "pick my fights" so to speak when it comes to junctions etc. I've also noted it on off-road as well

Top Bottom