wot no lights!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yorkshiregoth

Master of all he surveys
Cycling into work last night and I saw about 30 or so cyclists, of whom only 3 had lights. One of those though was on the pavement, one was RLJ'ing and the other was an elderly law abiding gentleman. Do people have death wishes or something??

Tetedelacourse

Was it dark?

Tynan

Veteran
indeed

worked late last night and it was just starting to get darkish towards the end of my journey

might have to sort some lights out earlier than I thought

johnsienk

My memories of winter are that MOST cyclist have no lighting. Not only that, but many cycle on fast roads with no street lamps. It is pretty much impossible to see them when I am driving from Chertsey to Goldswort Park (trees around, 50mph speed limit and often no street lights). It is particularly bad when there's traffic coming from the opposite direction dazzling you.

Keith Oates

Janner
Anyone using the roads during hours of darkness or low light that do not have adequate lights showing, being bicycles or any other form of transport, are being very foolhardy IMO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
johnsienk said:
My memories of winter are that MOST cyclist have no lighting. Not only that, but many cycle on fast roads with no street lamps. It is pretty much impossible to see them when I am driving from Chertsey to Goldswort Park (trees around, 50mph speed limit and often no street lights). It is particularly bad when there's traffic coming from the opposite direction dazzling you.

And joggers on the paths like to take the Ninja stealth approach and wear black so that they're invisible to approaching cyclists too. ;)

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
I was using lights this morning because the sun was so bright it was casting hard shadows. Surprising how much more room cars gave me.

goo_mason said:
And joggers on the paths like to take the Ninja stealth approach and wear black so that they're invisible to approaching cyclists too. ;)

Isn't that what your zoot is for??

OP
OP
yorkshiregoth

yorkshiregoth

Master of all he surveys
Yes it was dark having left ones abode at 22:00hrs. ;)

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Hairy Jock said:

It (presuming you mean the AirZound) would only work if I'd seen said Ninja joggers in advance. By the time you see them on the darker sections of the path in winter, it's too late to give them the horn (fnaaaar !)

I did scare the hell out of a jogger last winter though - dressed in black, listening to an iPod, at a well-lit crossroads on the path. I was approaching from behind, and was ringing my bell as he was in the middle of the path. I assumed that he might suddenly go left or right, so I slowed down as I could see that he wasn't hearing me. Well, he did suddenly veer right - but as he did he must have caught sight of my halogen lights out of the corner of his eye and he freaked out; stopped dead, mouth wide open and did a weird dance on the spot with his arms raised straight up and shaking about. I've since seen this dance referred to as 'the funky pedestrian'. I couldn't stop laughing for the next mile.

Tell you what - he was a brave man though; you wouldn't catch me running on a quiet off-road path in the dark at 6.00am without being able to hear what was going on around me. Prime mugger fodder !

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
goo_mason;36129][QUOTE=Hairy Jock said:

(presuming you mean the AirZound) [/QUOTE]

Yep thats the thing.

goo_mason said:
I did scare the hell out of a jogger last winter though - dressed in black, listening to an iPod, at a well-lit crossroads on the path. I was approaching from behind, and was ringing my bell as he was in the middle of the path. I assumed that he might suddenly go left or right, so I slowed down as I could see that he wasn't hearing me. Well, he did suddenly veer right - but as he did he must have caught sight of my halogen lights out of the corner of his eye and he freaked out; stopped dead, mouth wide open and did a weird dance on the spot with his arms raised straight up and shaking about. I've since seen this dance referred to as 'the funky pedestrian'. I couldn't stop laughing for the next mile.

Tell you what - he was a brave man though; you wouldn't catch me running on a quiet off-road path in the dark at 6.00am without being able to hear what was going on around me. Prime mugger fodder !

Maybe he thought he could out run them...

Top Bottom