Wot - nothing - ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Once the sidewall on the tyre burst, and the other I had a rear QR skewer fail.
So what's the 'work around' (avoid the 'please can you come and get me' call) for these two?
First (assuming boot or similar not carried) is find a plastic bottle smooth sided ie not coke type, cut off top and bottom and cut lengthways, enclose inner tube and insert and try to get the tyre (in the area of the burst sidewall) to seat, and once successful inflate and ride.
If the rear skewer fails . . . ??

(on my LEJOG I carried a spare, as it happened - using it to connect the saddlebag to my Brooks saddle loops - but that's an aberration).

If the rear skewer fails . . . ??(on my LEJOG I carried a spare, as it happened - using it to connect the saddlebag to my Brooks saddle loops - but that's an aberration).
A small stick a a couple of acorns should suffice.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
So what's the 'work around' (avoid the 'please can you come and get me' call) for these two?
First (assuming boot or similar not carried) is find a plastic bottle smooth sided ie not coke type, cut off top and bottom and cut lengthways, enclose inner tube and insert and try to get the tyre (in the area of the burst sidewall) to seat, and once successful inflate and ride.
If the rear skewer fails . . . ??

(on my LEJOG I carried a spare, as it happened - using it to connect the saddlebag to my Brooks saddle loops - but that's an aberration).
Are we supposed to carry scissors too then? And hope the tyre fails in an area full of litter? ^_^

Ajax Bay

Guru
Are we supposed to carry scissors too then? And hope the tyre fails in an area full of litter?
Razor blade or short handled scalpel is a useful item in one's emergency kit. Even in Glasgow, within a short distance you ought to be able to find something to convert into a boot. I just carry a piece cut from plastic bottle, with my spare tube etc.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I carry a length of duct tape rolled up swiss roll-stylee. I think a few layers of that should hold a tyre together and keep the tube inside so I could limp home. (With a lowish tyre pressure to reduce the force acting on the repair.)

A broken QR would definitely put me off riding home! I have known QRs slip but have never broken one or seen anyone else break one. I'd say that a well-adjusted good quality QR is extremely unlikely to break, but obviously it is always possible to get one with a manufacturing defect.

but obviously it is always possible to get one with a manufacturing defect.
iralls
Or the squirrels have been at.

si_c

Guru
I agree and rather wonder how @si_c managed to break his, on the road.

@Dave Davenport - this is a serious chat thread - please go and populate another one (the retirement one, say), or MOTD, - or move onto coffee, or both.

Not sure how I managed it either, it was on my Trek MTB, and I am prone to jump off pretty much everything I can when riding it. Also it was quite old, the QR sheared off at the point where it screws into the nut on the non-qr side. It wasn't even a cheap QR, being shimano, I carry spares with me now when going more than a short distance.

Unfortunately I doubt the boot would have helped too much, although I should probably carry one. The sidewall burst after the wire bead burst through it, didn't really want to ride it.

Top Bottom