Wots yer IQ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisKH

Guru
I read that as the IQ test was devised by middle class academics it leans towards a testing of........middle class academics.

freakhatz said:
Too true mate, apparently they stick on about 30 points. I only found out because it pushed my score off the scale.

This is serious worrying. I've scored 62. ;)

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
We had a whole raft of strange tests to do when I was at school, of which IQ was only one (165 BTW). I seem to remember a load of 'Bristol Achievement Tests' - anyone else ever do them or know about them? They seemed to be designed to try to fit you into a career path. Mine told me I should write technical manuals. Being a kid who never liked being told what to do, and who lived inside books and their own head most of the time, I promptly took up art and writing poetry just to show the tests they were wrong.

Gromit

Über Member
I'm dyslexic so can't do IQ test very well, I get low marks all the time. I don't believe that they are an accurate measure of ones intelligence.

Maz

Guru
Given the composition of that sentence, I'm not surprised.
I bet you were EXTRA careful there were no spelling mistakes in that sentence, right? ;)

Gromit said:
I'm dyslexic so can't do IQ test very well, I get low marks all the time. I don't believe that they are an accurate measure of ones intelligence.

I've never actually taken a full formal test so I haven't really got any idea what my IQ is. However, I've seen enough of the tests, and had a go at parts of them, to see how they seem to work. I do extremely well on anything to do with words, logic, mathematical patterns and sequences. I struggle on anything to with shapes, rotations and spatial questions. On an averaging basis, this would probably drag me down considerably. However, the things I'm good at are exactly what I need in my job.

Unfortunately, I've not seen a test that has a component for winding lefties up. I'm quite sure that I'd do well on that. ;)

alecstilleyedye said:
there's a school of thought among psychologists that iq tests test the ability to do iq tests and little else.

I must admit that I was intrigued to read that you could increase your IQ considerably by a lot of practice on the questions. If there was a fairly limited stock of standard questions and you worked hard, then no doubt you could become a genius.

Top Bottom