Wots yer IQ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Blue

Legendary Member
Yeah, I wouldn't put too much store in having a high score on an IQ test.

I recall doing a management course some decades ago(I'm now retired) and people were warned off recruiting folk with high IQ scores on the basis that they would make malcontented employees due to low boredom threshold etc. At a personal level people can back away when they hear someone has a high IQ score as they are either intimidated or think the people will be bores etc.

Do you realy want something that can put you at a disadvantage when looking for either a job or a mate :smile:

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Makes you wonder what the value of those psychometric tests are. Do people with high IQs really have low boredom thresholds? I wouldn't have said so. People with low boredom thresholds have low boredom thresholds.

Blue

Legendary Member
One has to be careful with IQ test results.

IQ testing was first developed by a French psychologist called Binet as a means to weed out sub-normal children who required special needs education. The idea was to minimise the disruption that dealing with such children caused to mainstream education by separating them from 'normal' children.

The system wasn't developed as a 'ranking' table for the super intelligent.

It is because the system is misused that a great many people doubt its worth.

Many other folk don't like the tests because they can be used to discriminate against any achieving a low score.

A

another_dave_b

Blue said:
One has to be careful with IQ test results.

IQ testing was first developed by a French psychologist called Binet as a means to weed out sub-normal children who required special needs education. The idea was to minimise the disruption that dealing with such children caused to mainstream education by separating them from 'normal' children.

The system wasn't developed as a 'ranking' table for the super intelligent.

It is because the system is misused that a great many people doubt its worth.

Many other folk don't like the tests because they can be used to discriminate against any achieving a low score.
I thought it was intended to measure the effectiveness of education. So if things are going well, the student's IQ score would increase. If things were going badly, decrease. The point being, IQ is mutable.

Blue

Legendary Member
another_dave_b said:
I thought it was intended to measure the effectiveness of education. So if things are going well, the student's IQ score would increase. If things were going badly, decrease. The point being, IQ is mutable.

I checked the point this morning and I'm happy that my comment is correct. I used one of my old teaching reference books, 'Psychology and the Teacher, 6th edtn'.

Later work was done to move the testing towards use on adults but I feel it is important to keep the origin of testing in mind

SamNichols

I'm around 150, apparently, but we aspergics are pretty much disqualified from certain questions because of brain functionality (especially ones about the way in which objects relate to one another). It's a deeply flawed test, and no one puts any stock in it (apart from Eugenicists).

Blue said:
. Indeed, a great many of the solicitors I had the displeasure to meet during my career had degrees, chips on their shoulders and, at best, apparently mediocre IQs :tongue:

An accusation frequently levelled at us, when we have no satisfactory solution to the perennial question, "How do I get away with this?" :biggrin:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I've always thought IQ testing was a bit of a sham (I studied psychology once upon a time). It's obvious it can't test for real things (Abitrary's talking yourself out of a sticky situation will do as an example, or devising ways of not letting the other half know how much you spent on wiggle), and only tests specifics (a range of things, granted, but not a wide enough range.
The number of people claiming to have a big one (oo'er) is akin to the number of people claiming to be working class, or the number of non-smokers on insurance forms. :tongue:

Blue

Legendary Member
Patrick Stevens said:
An accusation frequently levelled at us, when we have no satisfactory solution to the perennial question, "How do I get away with this?" :smile:

Not my situation - but most amusing sir :biggrin:

Dave5N

Über Member
Fnaar said:
I've always thought IQ testing was a bit of a sham (I studied psychology once upon a time). It's obvious it can't test for real things (Abitrary's talking yourself out of a sticky situation will do as an example, or devising ways of not letting the other half know how much you spent on wiggle), and only tests specifics (a range of things, granted, but not a wide enough range.
The number of people claiming to have a big one (oo'er) is akin to the number of people claiming to be working class, or the number of non-smokers on insurance forms. :biggrin:

I'm a working class non-smoker. Does that mean my internet test result was true?

Top Bottom