Wots yer IQ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Blue

Legendary Member
Flying_Monkey said:
I tend to think of the kind of people who'd want to join a 'club for the clever' as people I would probably want to avoid... :biggrin:

You aren't wrong - when I joined I attended about 2 meetings before deciding that that was 2 meetings too many :rolleyes:

Zoiders

I have dyslexia so IQ tests dont float my boat and I have never wanted to take one, far to much maths involved as well, being able to add up doesnt make you a genius at everything

How ever, when I was a wee boy of about 8 my teachers and my parents became concerned about my progress in school, I was either bored or a retard, they switched my exam papers for IQ tests without telling me, of course for a child of 8 that means ticking boxes and drawing circles around things which was easy, turned out I was bored, it did me **** all good though as my highschool didnt bother to follow up on it and I wasted 5 years doing no work and then passed my GCSEs anyway despite being told I would fail due to the lack of the holy grail of course work

It has not filled me with confidence in the education system and IQ tests

Zoiders

trustysteed said:
you'd probably be pretty good at the questions on QI though! ;)
I do

The pun aside, dyslexics think differently and can solve strange problems in strange ways, its the coping strategy thing you learn as a child to cover it up

killiekosmos

Veteran
I once taught in a school where the IQ of the pupils was measured on the Richter Scale. Anything above 9 got you in the top section and we told the parents they were destined to be 'movers and shakers'

simoncc

I've only ever taken one intelligence test. It was called the 11 plus. Pass and fail were the only grades given.

bonj said:
Fairlly modest really, I'm no smartarse.

Yeah, just a bloody know-it-all! :smile:

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
freakhatz said:
Too true mate, apparently they stick on about 30 points. I only found out because it pushed my score off the scale.

I think this may be true. When I was about 18, me and my brother did some tests from a book called 'Know Your Own IQ' by Eysenck. Frustratingly, I kept on getting 123 while my brother scored about 132. In the last one I actually scored 116, but my brain was obviously tired by then. Several years later when Mensa were running a campaign in the papers, I went along for a test and scored 156, which was enough to get me in. Sadly, I'd like to be that clever, but I don't think I am. Looking at how well I did at my A levels and how successful I was at work, I think 123 is more realistic. Considering how well my brother did at his A levels, university and career, I think 132 was realistic for him too. Despends what the statistical distribution is I suppose.

Yellow Fang said:
I think this may be true. When I was about 18, me and my brother did some tests from a book called 'Know Your Own IQ' by Eysenck. Frustratingly, I kept on getting 123 while my brother scored about 132. In the last one I actually scored 116, but my brain was obviously tired by then. Several years later when Mensa were running a campaign in the papers, I went along for a test and scored 156, which was enough to get me in. Sadly, I'd like to be that clever, but I don't think I am. Looking at how well I did at my A levels and how successful I was at work, I think 123 is more realistic. Considering how well my brother did at his A levels, university and career, I think 132 was realistic for him too. Despends what the statistical distribution is I suppose.

Here's a distribution chart:

http://encarta.msn.com/media_461540296/distribution_of_iq_scores.html

This ties in pretty well with what we were told when I was at school. Then it was taken for granted that those who passed the 11+ were the brightest 20% of the population and had IQs of 112 plus. Getting to university put you in the top 10 % and entailed an IQ of 120 plus.

Interestingly enough, as the average IQ here seems to be about 150, this puts the posters here in a very cerebral elite. :smile:

Blue

Legendary Member
Yellow Fang said:

It depends what scale was being used in the book.

Mensa tests use a scale that may give a higher/lesser number than a different scale but mean the same thing.

Mensa admit the top 2% of the population - that can mean different numbers on different scales.

High IQ and high academic achievement are not automatically the same thing.

Blue

Legendary Member
Patrick Stevens said:
The only people I've come across who are Mensa members are people who didn't go to university and have a chip on their shoulders about it. My mother in law did the test and was told she could join, but didn't bother as she'd been to Oxford.

That's too small a statistical sample to be of any use.

I was a member of Mensa and hold a degree.

People with chips on their shoulders can be found in all walks of life. Indeed, a great many of the solicitors I had the displeasure to meet during my career had degrees, chips on their shoulders and, at best, apparently mediocre IQs :smile:

Top Bottom