Would 30 gears be a mistake?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brock

I'm currently looking to treat myself to a shiny new do-everything bicycle and I'm rather taken with the Fahrradmanufaktur T-Randonneur. Is the 10 gear system considerably less reliable/fiddly/durable than 8 or 9 speed?
I fancy something a bit speedier than my old dead tourer, but it'll still be used as commuter/shopper/beer transporter etc.

Would 10 speed be a mistake?

I've only recently gone down the 10 speed road and found it great. I can't see why there would any more problems than with 8 or 9 speed but maybe a bit further down the road with one may disagree;)

Current audax is a 10 speed, it requires no more adjustment than my 7 speed mtn bike which is the only comparison I can make.

I like 10 speed close ratio blocks because it means that I can change often to keep my cadence even but I've heard others say, they prefer slightly wider ratios between changes. Either way a 10 speed works well, exactly what ratios suits your riding style only you will know.

gbb

Legendary Member
Brock said:
I'm currently looking to treat myself to a shiny new do-everything bicycle and I'm rather taken with the Fahrradmanufaktur T-Randonneur. Is the 10 gear system considerably less reliable/fiddly/durable than 8 or 9 speed?I fancy something a bit speedier than my old dead tourer, but it'll still be used as commuter/shopper/beer transporter etc.

Would 10 speed be a mistake?

Reliable ?, yes
Fiddly ?, no
Durable ?.....no. Having progressed through 8, 9 to 10 speed systems, the one thing you realise is how less durable 10 speed components are compared to 8 speed.
My old 8 speed Sora clad roadbike...around 6000 miles, only one change of chain and all the chainrings and cassette were still useable.

I noticed when i progressed to 9 speed that the chain didnt last anywhere near as long.

Moved onto 10 speed, i had to replace the chain after one year, its ready for change again and the cassettes showing wear, so will want replacing.

It's inevitable in my book. The lighter / smaller the chain, the more it will wear.

But, you get the benefit of a wider range of gears....pro's and cons as always.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Gbb is spot on.

If durability is a big concern, don't go higher than 8 - 8 speed chains seemingly last forever (and are cheaper). 9 speed (like the Tiagra I have on my tourer and "fast" bike) is less so, and 10 speed less still.

OP
OP
Brock

Brock

Interesting, thanks chaps.
Not sure I get it though. A 10 speed chain is narrower I believe, is that the only difference? If so, why does that result in less durability?

hmmm because the same load is spread across a smaller surface I guess.

Ah well, I can handle a bit of extra maintenance. I even invested in a park tool chain wear gauge last year so that'll come in handy I suppose.

OP
OP
Brock

Brock

John the Monkey said:
Mind you, that's a lovely bike.

Sod it, what's a few more chains a year?

Wow, my very own thoughts... To the letter.
GET OUT OF MY HEAD! ;)

gbb

Legendary Member
Brock said:
Interesting, thanks chaps.
Not sure I get it though. A 10 speed chain is narrower I believe, is that the only difference? If so, why does that result in less durability?

hmmm because the same load is spread across a smaller surface I guess.

Ah well, I can handle a bit of extra maintenance. I even invested in a park tool chain wear gauge last year so that'll come in handy I suppose.

Spot on :biggrin:

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
This is what puts me off;

KMC X 93 chains are what I use;
8 Speed - £9.99 (rrp £11.99)
9 Speed - £14.99 (rrp £15.99)
10 Speed - £24.99 (rrp £29.99) (prices as current on Chain Reaction).

It's not such a big deal on an infrequently used bike, I guess - but an extra tenner per chain on a day in, day out bike like my LHT would worry me, personally.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I'd go 8, or even 7 speed for the longevity, but I do have concerns around 'future proofing', choice already seems limited in 9 speed. 10 speed offers all the latest upgrades, close ratios etc but really doesn't match my style of riding.

Tis a very nice bike though:biggrin:

OP
OP
Brock

Brock

stevew said:
Dunno about all them there gears, seem expensive to keep running. Also dunno how much you are spending but i like the look of this http://www.enigmabikes.com/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=21
Then you could have it built up as you want, that would be nice eh ?
Saw them at the Cycle Show and thought they were rather cool, also they're not far from Kent !!

Just an idea, nothing more.

Gosh, they look lovely.
I decided against a self specced build in favour of the Fahrradmanufaktor because of its catchy name it has all the gear I want as standard.. dynamo hub and lights with wires routed neatly through the frame, cross brakes, a lightweight rack etc.. I know these sound kind of trivial and I could have them fitted on any bike but the amount of decisions I'd have to work through to get the finished article put me off.
I bought one of their T100s for the other half in Germany a couple of years ago, cost about 350 quid I think and it's still going strong after a winter of commuting and over 3000 miles fully loaded touring, so I have a lot of trust in their design and componentry.
They do look lovely though.. :biggrin:

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Brock said:
Gosh, they look lovely.
I decided against a self specced build in favour of the Fahrradmanufaktor because of its catchy name it has all the gear I want as standard.. dynamo hub and lights with wires routed neatly through the frame, cross brakes, a lightweight rack etc.. I know these sound kind of trivial and I could have them fitted on any bike but the amount of decisions I'd have to work through to get the finished article put me off.
I bought one of their T100s for the other half in Germany a couple of years ago, cost about 350 quid I think and it's still going strong after a winter of commuting and over 3000 miles fully loaded touring, so I have a lot of trust in their design and componentry.
They do look lovely though.. :biggrin:

very good point on it being fully kitted out, amazing how quickly those little add ons escalate your spend.

Top Bottom