Would 30 gears be a mistake?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

02GF74

Über Member
John the Monkey said:
This is what puts me off;

KMC X 93 chains are what I use;
8 Speed - £9.99 (rrp £11.99)
9 Speed - £14.99 (rrp £15.99)
10 Speed - £24.99 (rrp £29.99) (prices as current on Chain Reaction).

it makes you wonder. :biggrin: less metal yet the manufacturing process surely is the same, so why 1.5 and 2.5x the price?

MENTAL!!!;)

rich p

ridiculous old lush
02GF74 said:
it makes you wonder. :biggrin: less metal yet the manufacturing process surely is the same, so why 1.5 and 2.5x the price?

MENTAL!!!;)

Doesn't relate to how many millions they're knocking out? 8 speed is still the volume manufacture worldwide.

OP
OP
Brock

Brock

OK, so if I have this bike with shimano 105 10 speed gubbins and get thoroughly sick of changing the chain, how feasible would a downgrade to 8 or 9 speed be in the future? Would the shifters have to be changed as well as the chainset and cassette?

OP
OP
Brock

Brock

I was going to make the journey into London to see the bike in the flesh today, but having been nearly blown off my feet and soaked to the skin on the ten minute walk to the train station to catch the rail relief bus I gave up and came home. :wacko:

GrasB

Veteran
The problem for Rolhoff for me isn't the gear system, for my tastes a 14sp 17t hub with a 44/47 chainrings would be perfect & from a maintenance point of view it's really good too. My issue is the shifter, for me a grip shift system simply doesn't sit in my riding style as it puts large constraints on my handlebar setup.

jimboalee

Brock said:
I was going to make the journey into London to see the bike in the flesh today, but having been nearly blown off my feet and soaked to the skin on the ten minute walk to the train station to catch the rail relief bus I gave up and came home. :?:

God moves in myserious ways. He stopped you making one hell of a mistake.

Have a look on the net for a bike from a manufacturer who knows about gearing....

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
OMFG not jimboalee on gearing again...

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
TheDoctor said:
OMFG not jimboalee on gearing again...

Aggggghhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On a more serious note what size of step between gears do people find acceptable? I seem to get on pretty well around the 6-7 inch mark.

Randochap

Senior hunter
MacB said:
Hi Ray, I hope you're still mending nicely, been back on the bike yet, or is it too soon? If so you must be heartily sick of mooching around the house.

On the 8 speed front, is it still fairly future proof? I note they still sell a lot of bikes with 8 speed. I've been toying with ideas around an 8 or 9 speed compact for a general bike, something like 26/42 or 29/44 rings. Is there any 8 speed stuff around you'd recommend, bearing in mind I don't use road bars?....thanks.....Al

Thanks Mac, I'm afraid it's going to be a very long road back (and have just had another hospital stay for an unrelated issue :ohmy: ) so will have to content myself with making trouble here :?: for a while yet.

There is plenty of 8-speed componentry available and quality at that. Shimano is not about to stop manufacturing a popular system ... and if they do, another manufacturer will step into the breach. I have two sets of 8-speed barcons and set up the Bleriot (RIP) with that system, incl. XT casette (you can see full components on the Bleriot page @ VeloWeb).

There are also plenty of options for straight bar shifters like the Alivio, for instance. I think these will be around for a long time. Since 5-speed freewheels are still available, I wouldn't worry about availability of 8-sp. There's still no trouble getting 7-sp. either. I'm planning to regress my old Rocky Mountain Blizzard to it's original 7-speed drivetrain (from 8), so I can reinstall straight bars and the wonderful XT thumb-shifters -- one of the best shifters ever made!

Suntour, I believe, made an 8-sp. thumb shifter. Not sure about availability.

Any LBS worth their salt should be able to spec the stuff.

GrasB

Veteran
When I change gear I want a 5-7" ratio change. However I want to be able to chose gears with about 2-3" of granularity.
ie when going up the cassette I usually go: 26, 23, 21, 19, 17, 15, 13. I miss out sprockets 18, 16 & 14. However I may find that on the ride I want to be a little higher/lower ratio so change onto the even sprockets.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
thanks Ray, done some more digging myself and quite fancy a couple of setups I've specced:-

My version of a touring/social ride beast - 29/44 chainset and 8 speed cassette 12-25 normal or 12-28 hilly

A 29er built around the Surly Karate Monkey frame, do it all type bike - single chainset and 8 speed cassette, something like a 13-34 with a 48t ring.

I can't imagine doing any riding where I need super close ratios.

Top Bottom