Would 30 gears be a mistake?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Brock

Brock

John the Monkey said:
It's not such a big deal on an infrequently used bike, I guess - but an extra tenner per chain on a day in, day out bike like my LHT would worry me, personally.

It's a fair point.. The only counter argument I have is that the money I save by choosing not to run a car entitles me to such extravagances. The price is less of an issue than the inconvenience, and changing a chain isn't much of a chore.

OP
OP
Brock

Brock

rich p said:
Are you going to use it as a tourer too? The lowest gear is only 30/25.

Not being familiar with gear sizes I'm assuming that's not very low :biggrin:
I have no plans at present for any serious touring, although I certainly hope to hit the road with a full load again at some point in the future. I'd probably sort the gearing out when the time comes.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Brock said:
Not being familiar with gear sizes I'm assuming that's not very low :sad:
I have no plans at present for any serious touring, although I certainly hope to hit the road with a full load again at some point in the future. I'd probably sort the gearing out when the time comes.

Well I'm no expert either but my Scoot road bike has a lowest gear of 30/25 whereas my Galaxy has a lowest of 28/34 and I've used it many a time over the mountains!

snorri

Legendary Member
Brock said:
The only counter argument I have is that the money I save by choosing not to run a car entitles me to such extravagances.
If cost is not the most important thing in your choice, then perhaps you would consider a Rohloff hub? I've used one for over 2000 miles now without any of the tweaking and cleaning I would have had to do with a derailleur.
:laugh:

AlanW

Guru
gbb said:
i had to replace the chain after one year, its ready for change again and the cassettes showing wear, so will want replacing.

After one year, depends on how many miles you ride in a year though?

I love my 10 speed, great ratios, but it comes at a cost. :welcome: The tolerances are that much closer on 10sp and any element of wear causes problems and slow or sluggish shifting

As a point of interest, I replace my chain every 1500 miles maximum, that's using the Park chain checker, at 0.75% wear. Then I replace the cassette on the fourth chain. So in the summer that's a chain a month near enough. :laugh:

In comparison, many years ago when I was using 7sp, I replaced the chain twice a year, or at around 8000 miles a chain.

OP
OP
Brock

Brock

wow.. That illustrates the downside of 10 speed quite well.
Is having an extra gear or two really worth it?

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
AlanW said:
After one year, depends on how many miles you ride in a year though?

I love my 10 speed, great ratios, but it comes at a cost. :welcome: The tolerances are that much closer on 10sp and any element of wear causes problems and slow or sluggish shifting

As a point of interest, I replace my chain every 1500 miles maximum, that's using the Park chain checker, at 0.75% wear. Then I replace the cassette on the fourth chain. So in the summer that's a chain a month near enough. :laugh:

In comparison, many years ago when I was using 7sp, I replaced the chain twice a year, or at around 8000 miles a chain.

wow Alan, that's working out at about 8 chains a year and two cassettes, at 10 speed prices I guess no less than £260, could be a lot more as well. Rohloffs, for the non racer/competitor really do start to look more attractive. A Rohloff including cables and shifter should come in around 1.82kg, the bits you don't need from a derailler system, ie rear hub, cassette, deraillers, shifters come to about 1.3kg. That's a 1lb weight penalty, if you don't need the tightly packed gears I can see the attraction.

I could be talking myself into a Rohloff here:ohmy:

Randochap

Senior hunter
Yes, make sure you use the chain guage and don't scrimp on chain replacement. I have 2 10-speeds and trade things around a bit to extend life of components.

The close-spaced block is nice.

I chose 8-speed for my latest commuter/tourer and will do again for the sake of durability, where close shifting is not such an issue.

Randochap

Senior hunter
Agree Rohloff (or cheaper IG hub) is a great choice for commuting and touring -- especially in inclement weather, as I mention in my new winter cycling (commuting) subsection.

OP
OP
Brock

Brock

snorri said:
If cost is not the most important thing in your choice, then perhaps you would consider a Rohloff hub? I've used one for over 2000 miles now without any of the tweaking and cleaning I would have had to do with a derailleur.
:welcome:

I did consider it a bit, maybe the next time I buy a new bike, once I'm sick of constantly changing 10 speed chains :laugh:

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Randochap said:
Yes, make sure you use the chain guage and don't scrimp on chain replacement. I have 2 10-speeds and trade things around a bit to extend life of components.

The close-spaced block is nice.

I chose 8-speed for my latest commuter/tourer and will do again for the sake of durability, where close shifting is not such an issue.

Hi Ray, I hope you're still mending nicely, been back on the bike yet, or is it too soon? If so you must be heartily sick of mooching around the house.

On the 8 speed front, is it still fairly future proof? I note they still sell a lot of bikes with 8 speed. I've been toying with ideas around an 8 or 9 speed compact for a general bike, something like 26/42 or 29/44 rings. Is there any 8 speed stuff around you'd recommend, bearing in mind I don't use road bars?....thanks.....Al

snorri

Legendary Member
Brock said:
I did consider it a bit, maybe the next time I buy a new bike, once I'm sick of constantly changing 10 speed chains ;)
It was the constant cleaning tweaking and replacement of drive train components that put me to the Rohloff. I go on tour to cycle and see foreign lands, not the inside of foreign bike shops. (Though I must admit some bike shops were interesting-once I'd found them:biggrin:)
I fitted the Rohloff on a Galaxy and so required a chain tensioner. If I had not been in love with my Galaxy I might have bought a bike with the drop outs that do not require a tensioner.

AlanW

Guru
Despite the cost, I would not change anything. The 10sp gives me an ideal set for just about everything.

On three of my bikes, they have the same gear ratios, 39/52 with a 12/23 cassette.

On my Audax bike I have a triple chainset, again with a 12/23 cassette, but I have replaced the OE 'granny' ring for a 28. So I now have 28/39/52, this will get me up most, if not all things. In saying that, I do have a 12/25 just in case a Audax looks really hilly!

And on the plus side I keep a tight ratio on the rear and all my bikes ride the same, so no adapting to different gearings.

If you buy your chains in bulk, ie five or six at a time, when ever someone has a special offer, then the costs not that bad.

I' have one bike, a recumbent with a 42 gear range. A normal 42T on the front witha Sachs 3x7 on the rear, I then added a 62T dinner plate for fast straights and kept the original set up. Front changer is simply moving the chain using the chain tube.

I am also just having fitted a Rohloff with dual front chain ring on one ofthe other recumbents.

There are overaps in both cases, but the extended top and bottom of the ranges is worth it.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
MacB said:
I'd go 8, or even 7 speed for the longevity, but I do have concerns around 'future proofing', choice already seems limited in 9 speed. 10 speed offers all the latest upgrades, close ratios etc but really doesn't match my style of riding.

Tis a very nice bike though:biggrin:

Two of my bikes are still on 7 speed stuff. Still a reasonable choice of cassettes IME.

Top Bottom