Would any cycle helmet have helped here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Also, the last time I rode around our local lake with the wife and son, I whacked my head on a low branch that I didn't see. Happily for me, no cuts and bruises thanks to my helmet. I wear a helmet for just these sorts of incidents; not exactly life threatening, but plenty painful had I not been wearing my lid.
Anecdote time, one of our local shared paths is pretty overgrown at the moment, on a recent trip I, with much ducking and diving and bobbing and weaving, managed to avoid the vast majority of the various bushes and tree limbs, I did though clatter a couple. Miraculously I managed to reach the end of the path with no cuts, bruises or pain despite not wearing a helmet. My buddy on the ride managed to bash into a low hanger and thanks to his helmet it made a resounding "DUNK". My buddy didn't mention it but I wonder if he thought like you, that (despite evidence to the contrary riding right next to him) without his helmet he would have suffered all kinds of injuries and pain.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Of course. A couple of months back on a Sunday morning training ride, one of our group pulled up at a junction and executed a classic "clipless moment". He'd virtually come to a standstill and over he went. He fell into the guy next to him (me) and we both ended up in a tangled heap.
And you banged your head?

What's claimed is irrelevant. It's the principle that counts. Don't ask of others what you're not prepared to do yourself.
Please read the posts

I have limited access

I will do this when I get home

So please have the courtesy to be patient

Lemond

So you didn't hit your head and yet you said

Precisely what was was it that would have been plenty painful had you not been wearing your helmet when you didn't even hit your swede?

I'm not quite sure what you're getting at? I gave you two examples as to the reasons why I wear a helmet. One from a training ride, one from a social ride, which is what we were talking about at that time. If you recall we were discussing whether I consider one type of riding to be more dangerous than another, which I don't. My point was that prangs can happen at any time. I never said I hit my head during the first incident. I didn't. My mate did. I banged mine during the second incident.

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I'm not quite sure what you're getting at? I gave you two examples as to the reasons why I wear a helmet. One from a training ride, one from a social ride, which is what we were talking about at that time. of why I wear a helmetnever said I hit my head when my mate fell into me. He hit his.
I'm not quite sure what you're getting at. You wear a helmet in case your mate hits his head? :wacko:

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
I'm not quite sure what you're getting at? I gave you two examples as to the reasons why I wear a helmet. One from a training ride, one from a social ride, which is what we were talking about at that time. If you recall we were discussing whether I consider one type of riding to be more dangerous than another, which I don't. My point was that prangs can happen at any time. I never said I hit my head during the first incident. I didn't. My mate did. I banged mine during the second incident.
What I'm getting at is that you made a claim that wearing your helmet had protected you from injury, yet in the one example you gave, the cycle path one, I have given you an example of where I have ridden down over grown paths and not injured myself despite the fact I was not wearing a helmet. In your second example of where you claim your helmet protected you from injury you didn't even hit your head!

Lemond

What I'm getting at is that you made a claim that wearing your helmet had protected you from injury, yet in the one example you gave, the cycle path one, I have given you an example of where I have ridden down over grown paths and not injured myself despite the fact I was not wearing a helmet. In your second example of where you claim your helmet protected you from injury you didn't even hit your head!

I'm glad you didn't hurt yourself. But are you seriously suggesting that this somehow means I shouldn't wear a helmet? Am I somehow now immune from injury? That's just daft.

And at the risk of repeating myself, I never said that I banged my head during the first example I gave. Please read my post again and you'll see that I don't.

Thomk

Guru
You have dredged up two circumstances where a cyclist could more readily acquire a head injury than someone in a car. Despite this, many people in cars do suffer head injuries, but no one cares. Why is this?
I don't know. I wear a helmet while cycling for the reasons I mentioned and to save grief from Mrs Thomk. I don't expect it to save me from a medium/high speed collision with a car (or wall or tank etc).

My post was slightly tongue in cheek.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
I'm glad you didn't hurt yourself. But are you seriously suggesting that this somehow means I shouldn't wear a helmet? Am I somehow now immune from injury? That's just daft.

And at the risk of repeating myself, I never said that I banged my head during the first example I gave. Please read my post again and you'll see that I don't.

This is what you said, no where in your post did you say that you didn't bang your head, your intention was to give the impression that you did and that your helmet saved you from further injury.

I wear a helmet for just these sorts of incidents; not exactly life threatening, but plenty painful had I not been wearing my lid.

I am not suggesting that you shouldn't wear a helmet I am suggesting that you should stop claiming that a helmet saved you from injury when in one example you, just like me, may not have received an injury anyway and in the other you didn't even bump your head.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom