Would any cycle helmet have helped here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
An awful of people ride bikes that are about as far removed from a Dogma as an F1 car is from a family hatch but still choose to wear a helmet.
I think this thread is getting awfully muddled.
Some people choose to wear a helmet, some don't, I think we are all trying to reinvent the wheel here making this more complex than it is.
Going back to my original statements I'll add another,
I've not ridden with another member of the cycle club I belong to who doesn't wear a helmet, or ever seen another member of my club without one.

Lemond

I appreciate the humour in your post, but do you wear them?

On the beach, playing with a tennis ball? Of course not.

But I still wear my cycling helmet when I'm out on a training run with mates or just taking a slow spin around the local park.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
I think this thread is getting awfully muddled.
Some people choose to wear a helmet, some don't, I think we are all trying to reinvent the wheel here making this more complex than it is.
Going back to my original statements I'll add another,
I've not ridden with another member of the cycle club I belong to who doesn't wear a helmet, or ever seen another member of my club without one.
That doesn't surprise me, have you ever wondered why that is? Is it all to do with the trust they place in their helmets should they fall off and bump their head, or is it fashion or maybe they don't want to be the odd one out?

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
On the beach, playing with a tennis ball? Of course not.

But I still wear my cycling helmet when I'm out on a training run with mates or just taking a slow spin around the local park.
Do you considere the risks to be equivalent or is it more of a just in case scenario?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
That doesn't surprise me, have you ever wondered why that is? Is it all to do with the trust they place in their helmets should they fall off and bump their head, or is it fashion or maybe they don't want to be the odd one out?
Which club is it and does it have a rule requiring crash helmets?

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
No because a low hanging branch overhanging the kerb is not likely to swipe me on the head when I'm not paying enough attention and I'm not likely to skid on ice and fall on the floor and bang my head.
So in the summer on the road you don't wear one?

Lemond

Just to clarify you believe you're as likely to come off your bike on a training run as you are taking a slow spin around the park?

Of course. A couple of months back on a Sunday morning training ride, one of our group pulled up at a junction and executed a classic "clipless moment". He'd virtually come to a standstill and over he went. He fell into the guy next to him (me) and we both ended up in a tangled heap. Also, the last time I rode around our local lake with the wife and son, I whacked my head on a low branch that I didn't see. Happily for me, no cuts and bruises thanks to my helmet. I wear a helmet for just these sorts of incidents; not exactly life threatening, but plenty painful had I not been wearing my lid. I've also had two stone strikes within the last year.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Of course. A couple of months back on a Sunday morning training ride, one of our group pulled up at a junction and executed a classic "clipless moment". He'd virtually come to a standstill and over he went. He fell into the guy next to him (me) and we both ended up in a tangled heap. Also, the last time I rode around our local lake with the wife and son, I whacked my head on a low branch that I didn't see. Happily for me, no cuts and bruises thanks to my helmet. I wear a helmet for just these sorts of incidents; not exactly life threatening, but plenty painful had I not been wearing my lid. I've also had two stone strikes within the last year.
Ok, ta.

Did I say that?
The trouble with some of you lot is you're so so quick to jump down the throat of anybody who may have a differing view to yourselves, bit like the "Lewis Hamilton" reference - farcical.
Live and let live, if you want to wear one - wear one, if you don't.....errrr......dont.

Not at all

It was the simple case of someone making the absurd claim (in spite of the evidence otherwise) that cycle helmets offer facial protection

Then we had an infantile tantrum and name calling, and further unfounded claims tat cycle helmets reduce facial injuries

It is simply challenging dangerous and unevidenced claims that are misleading

You see entitled fully to a different view, but you are not entitled to make unfounded, in evidenced clams about the effectiveness of helmets that fly in tha face of the evidence

What I do find ironic is that the only one who is calling people who don' t agree with them infantile names was yourself!

Please provide evidence for you claims that helmets protect the face and let's put the discussion on an evidenced footing instead of tantrums

Last edited:

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Not at all

It was the simple case of someone making the absurd claim (in spite of the evidence otherwise) that cycle helmets offer facial protection

Then we had an infantile tantrum and name calling, and further unfounded claims tat cycle helmets reduce head injuries

It is simply challenging dangerous and I evidenced claims that are misleading

You see entitled fully to a different view, but you are not entitled to make unfounded, in evidenced clams about the effectiveness of helmets that fly in tha face of the evidence

What I do find ironic is that the only one who is calling people who don' t agree with them infantile names was yourself!
I don't think I did, did I? And where have I called anybody "infantile" names?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
A couple of months back on a Sunday morning training ride, one of our group pulled up at a junction and executed a classic "clipless moment". He'd virtually come to a standstill and over he went. He fell into the guy next to him (me) and we both ended up in a tangled heap.
That's a great argument for banning clipless pedals from non-competitive rides unless someone has a doctor's note saying they really need them! :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom