Would any cycle helmet have helped here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Yeah, but your location is "Sunny Suffolk" which is clearly a fantasy place! :tongue:
image.jpg

No.7 in the top 10 of sunny counties I would say qualifies it as "sunny Suffolk" I notice Norfolk is not on that list.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Did I say that?
Weren't you objecting to the F1 drivers analogy by suggesting that pro cycle-racers and ordinary cyclists are more alike than pro motor racers and ordinary motorists? If not, what point were you trying to make? :wacko:

And by the way, you just slated one whole section of cyclists, really useful thing to do, cyclists against cyclists.
Not really: it's a cariacature, meant affectionately. Does the local club strip of anyone here really look like Superman or a nappy? :rolleyes: The pro peloton has had some abominations (often championship ones like Sagan's current crayon-drawn one or Contador's old Ronald McDonald number) but not even they've gone that far to get public attention!

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
There are only 48 counties so that's not even top 10% - and are you really bringing facts into a helmet discussion for a change? :laugh: Long may that continue too!
You started it bud by trying to discredit a poster because you didn't like what he said, then took the p#ss out of all the "nappy wearers". Laughable.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
bit like the "Lewis Hamilton" reference - farcical.
Well, yes and no. You're quite right of course that most people aren't driving F1 cars and certainly not on public roads, but then most people aren't travelling at the same pace* as the cycling pros nor are they travelling in a peleton. There are some cyclists who want to look like their heroes, full team kit and matching helmet going as quick as they can but you wont ever see a driver done up like Lewis no matter how big a fan he is and no matter how hard they may try to emulate him with their driving, so why cycling? Asking why drivers don't dress like Lewis may be farcical, but is it also farcical when Mr and Mrs Miggins pootle down the segregated cycle path at 8mph or so helmet clad? A bit like going for a Suday afternoon stroll along the tow path, you're pretty likely to see someone that's done up like they're about to tackle the Eiger.
I think it's a bit of a fashion/sheep thing the pros wear them so the club riders wear them, the club riders wear them so the commuters wear them, the commuters wear them so the Sunday riders wear them. I'm not sure many people give it much thought it's just something you wear when you have a bike.

*Yes I know.

Lemond

Well, yes and no. You're quite right of course that most people aren't driving F1 cars and certainly not on public roads, but then most people aren't travelling at the same pace* as the cycling pros nor are they travelling in a peleton. There are some cyclists who want to look like their heroes, full team kit and matching helmet going as quick as they can but you wont ever see a driver done up like Lewis no matter how big a fan he is and no matter how hard they may try to emulate him with their driving, so why cycling?

I don't think that comparison with F1 really works. Cycling fans wearing the kit of their sporting heroes really isn't that unusual. Football fans do it, rugby fans do it, basketball fans do it and so on. Even then cycling is pretty unique. A football fan can't just rock up at Wembley for a kick about, but a cycling fan could easily ride up Alpe d'Huez (OK, maybe not easily, but you get the idea). Besides, even the most ardent F1 fan might struggle to find a set of Lewis Hamilton racing overalls, helmet and gloves. And then there's the car.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Well, yes and no. You're quite right of course that most people aren't driving F1 cars and certainly not on public roads, but then most people aren't travelling at the same pace* as the cycling pros nor are they travelling in a peleton. There are some cyclists who want to look like their heroes, full team kit and matching helmet going as quick as they can but you wont ever see a driver done up like Lewis no matter how big a fan he is and no matter how hard they may try to emulate him with their driving, so why cycling? Asking why drivers don't dress like Lewis may be farcical, but is it also farcical when Mr and Mrs Miggins pootle down the segregated cycle path at 8mph or so helmet clad? A bit like going for a Suday afternoon stroll along the tow path, you're pretty likely to see someone that's done up like they're about to tackle the Eiger.
I think it's a bit of a fashion/sheep thing the pros wear them so the club riders wear them, the club riders wear them so the commuters wear them, the commuters wear them so the Sunday riders wear them. I'm not sure many people give it much thought it's just something you wear when you have a bike.

*Yes I know.
Agree with that, a sensible response at last.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
And neither do we all ride a Team Sky Pinarello Dogma and ride in a peloton.
It's a valid point, whether you like it or not.
Yes but a lot of us ride bikes that emulate the "dogma" I don't think I've seen a car on the road to emulate an f1 car.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
I don't think that comparison with F1 really works. Cycling fans wearing the kit of their sporting heroes really isn't that unusual. Football fans do it, rugby fans do it, basketball fans do it and so on. Even then cycling is pretty unique. A football fan can't just rock up at Wembley for a kick about, but a cycling fan could easily ride up Alpe d'Huez (OK, maybe not easily, but you get the idea). Besides, even the most ardent F1 fan might struggle to find a set of Lewis Hamilton racing overalls, helmet and gloves. And then there's the car.
You're quite right of course with your examples of other sports fans, however what are you saying the various sports fans are doing participating, watching or maybe just having a quick game with the kids? Would we expect to see cricket fans wearing boxes when they're playing with the kids down the beach using a tennis ball (they don't I assume). The fans, F1 or otherwise, don't need the real mccoy either, maybe just some decorators overalls and a cheap motorcycle helmet would do, kinda the equivalent of my lidl gear vs the genuine article.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Yes but a lot of us ride bikes that emulate the "dogma" I don't think I've seen a car on the road to emulate an f1 car.
An awful of people ride bikes that are about as far removed from a Dogma as an F1 car is from a family hatch but still choose to wear a helmet.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Come to Norfolk: Millionaire's Row, Chelsea on Sea... There are some cars that get close to road-going versions of other racing cars (not F1) whose drivers have to wear the full helmet and overalls for competition... yet still these drivers aren't wearing crash helmets when on the ordinary highway. Irresponsible, aren't they?
a cycling fan could easily ride up Alpe d'Huez (OK, maybe not easily, but you get the idea)
And there's no need to wear a crash helmet while doing so:
dave-sims-on-raleigh-chopper-2015.jpg

Lemond

Come to Norfolk: Millionaire's Row, Chelsea on Sea... There are some cars that get close to road-going versions of other racing cars (not F1) whose drivers have to wear the full helmet and overalls for competition... yet still these drivers aren't wearing crash helmets when on the ordinary highway. Irresponsible, aren't they?

And there's no need to wear a crash helmet while doing so:
dave-sims-on-raleigh-chopper-2015.jpg

The dude's riding a Chopper. The rules don't apply. The mountain should move itself beneath his wheels.

Reactions: mjr

Lemond

You're quite right of course with your examples of other sports fans, however what are you saying the various sports fans are doing participating, watching or maybe just having a quick game with the kids? Would we expect to see cricket fans wearing boxes when they're playing with the kids down the beach using a tennis ball (they don't I assume). The fans, F1 or otherwise, don't need the real mccoy either, maybe just some decorators overalls and a cheap motorcycle helmet would do, kinda the equivalent of my lidl gear vs the genuine article.

The way my boy bowls you wear a box and pads and a helmet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom