Would new hubs transform my wheels ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Doyleyburger

Veteran
Is it worth it or not ?
Been toying with this idea but not overly convinced it's financially worth it, what with all the great wheelset deals about at the moment. The stock PR2 wheels on my Giant are OK enough but don't roll all that great, and the rims are fine as I don't care much for all these fancy deep section rims.
Has anyone done this and recommend some good hubs,or is it a total waste of time?
Thanks

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Nobody is here is more qualified than @Spoked Wheels to answer this question.

Just out of curiosity. what tyres do you run? Tyres can have an effect on rolling.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
You would have to get hubs with roughly the same flange diameter to avoid needing new spokes.

TBH the cost of new hubs will be getting on for a third of the price of new wheels and won't do a lot in terms of performance as the real gains are with lightweight but strong spokes and rims.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
New hubs won't roll any easier, assuming your current ones are in good fettle.

Something like Hope ceramics will last forever, add some bling if you choose a bright colour, and give you the distinctive tick-tick noise on the freewheel which some regard as the sound of quality.

Objectively, none of the above matters a lot, but I wouldn't criticise anyone who buys them just because they like them.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
Nobody is here is more qualified than @Spoked Wheels to answer this question.

Just out of curiosity. what tyres do you run? Tyres can have an effect on rolling.

Oooops, there are some very very knowledgeable people here, some know a lot more than I do :smile:

Well, as it has already been mentioned, you would need to find a hub with similar dimensions in order to use the same spokes. Not always an easy task.

Most stock wheels are poor, and Giant are not exception.

Tyres and tyre pressure would be the first thing to look at I think.

Make sure the brake pads aren't touching the rim

Last edited:
OP
OP
Doyleyburger

Doyleyburger

Veteran
Thanks everyone. This was just an idea I was toying with and didn't know whether or not it would benefit my wheelset at all. The tyres are still the stock giant branded ones which will be replaced before spring arrives. Everything is fine in terms of tyre pressures and brake rub as I meticulously check my bikes over regularly before heading out.
Think you guys have just confirmed that it may be too much faffing around for not much of a result.

Top Bottom