Would this fork fit my bike ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
BretonM

BretonM

A lot of your energy would be absorbed into bouncing up and down rather than going forward, think about it, do fast road bikes have suspension.

Suspension has some benefits, not on roads and soft trails though.

I am sure somebody will be along with a different view shortly.
I completely see your point and since changing to a full suspension have noticed a lack of momentum uphill.
I am thinking of selling the Landy and the voodoo and the Peugeot and getting a better bike with the money available.
Thanks for the advice.

OP
OP
BretonM

BretonM

Good point I missed that, can we go with why would you ride a full susser on the road or light trails. Maybe time for a change for Breton, he sure would notice a difference.
I think I'm going to get a decent hardtail.

Jody

Stubborn git
Good point I missed that, can we go with why would you ride a full susser on the road or light trails. Maybe time for a change for Breton, he sure would notice a difference.

I was just typing a response along those lines when you posted this. Its not the most suitable for its intended purpose but maybe the OP has gone for something that can tick as many boxes as poss. I sometimes commute on mine, its not ideal but the suspension type and lock out make it a bit easier and its not overly heavy at 27lbs.

NeilnrLincoln

In your position I would definitely sell all & buy one better bike that suited my needs. It'd be lighter, better quality & already have most of the components you're looking to upgrade to, better brakes, better gears & suspension. Although I wouldn't bother with full suspension unless you're regularly riding some very rough stuff.

Jody

Stubborn git
Although I wouldn't bother with full suspension unless you're regularly riding some very rough stuff.

You don't have to be riding really rough stuff for a full suss and it seems a regular misconception. There is a lot of traction to be had on loose bumpy surfaces when climbing and its also very comfortable. Full suss bikes come in a range of styles like road bikes.

Jody

Stubborn git
I've got both & there's very few occasions when my full susser offers any real advantage over the 29er hardtail.

Horses for courses and depends what you want out of your bike. I was only pointing out the territory doesn't have to be really rough to enjoy a full suss.

NeilnrLincoln

True, full sussers are really good for most riding. I just think with a limited budget you'd get a better hardtail than full suss. And in my opinion a good hardtail is a better bike than a cheap full suspension.

No.
Sell them all,including the Landy and buy something with more pedigree and better fork.
If you are serious about MTB'ing then the right tools are essential.
Budget bikes have a short shelf life,which is why I see so many at the local tip.
Carrera's being the most I see.I know you don't have one of those but same idea.
Not so long ago,I bought a Cove Stiffee FR for £400,decked out with Hope Tech M4's and SRAM X9 for starters.
They are out there,it's just looking for the right one for the right price.
And most sellers can be haggled down .

In your position I would definitely sell all & buy one better bike that suited my needs. It'd be lighter, better quality & already have most of the components you're looking to upgrade to, better brakes, better gears & suspension. Although I wouldn't bother with full suspension unless you're regularly riding some very rough stuff.

I refer you to this .
@NeilnrLincoln

NeilnrLincoln

Oh yes. Don't necessarily agree with you about Carreras though. I think they're very good for what they cost, definitely a good step up from "bike shaped objects".
The Kraken & similar hardtails are decent bikes that are good to ride & worthy of a few sensible upgrades.

I think a hardtail with lockout suspension sounds like it will serve better but................Is this a good time to let BretonM know that best number of bikes to own is n+1....

It makes a big difference if you can lockout. Tried it a few times on my own hardtail and the difference is noticeable, probably because I'm a shoot climber and need all the help I can get.

OP
OP
BretonM

BretonM

Thanks for all the suggestions what I think I'm going to do is swap the Landy for a better quality hardtail.
Sell the voodoo for about £150-£170.
Sell the Peugeot for £110-£120.
Sell the mongoose for £30.
And with that money either upgrade the future hardtail or buy another bike that may suit my needs for different riding than trails and general commuting.
Plan ???

Top Bottom