Would u buy it (carrera)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Trigger369

Über Member
Have been looking for a cheap 2ndhand road bike to use on the turbo trainer as I don't want to mess up my good bike a giant contend .
Screenshot_20180820-154318_Facebook.jpg

Question is would any of you buy this carrera just to use on the trainer ? Looking at the gear leavers where are they .Where do u change gear on this thing ? Would it be better waiting and buying somthing more like what I'm used too .

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
The gear levers are integrated into the brake levers.
For £80 for a bike that is only going to be used on a turbo trainer, I would say it's a bargain.

You have a Giant bike as your avatar, does it not have drop bars with similar levers?

OP
OP
Trigger369

Trigger369

Über Member
Yes similar looking but not the same as my giant that's why I was asking .my giant has gear shifter behind the break leavers. Don't think the carrera has looking at the pic

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
When deciding if anything is a bargain or not, the first thing I do is some research to find out how much the thing originally cost (adjusted for inflation). I also factor in any likely post-purchase essential expenditure, such as replacing tyres. The bikes that I've bought secondhand have typically been put back on the road at a cost of between 10% and 15% of the real-terms original price when new. This is the real hardcore value approach though, and if buying on eBay you have to be willing to lose a few before a lowball bid comes up trumps.

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
Do you have Campagnolo on your other bike OP? Looks like Shimano lever shifters on the Carrera. If it fits, looks like a good buy. Factor in a turbo tyre.

vickster

Legendary Member
Surely the Giant Contend has Shimano. What does it say on the shifters?

Doesn’t really matter how the gears change on a bike used on a turbo as long as they work

Edit:if Sora those will Work in a similar fashion

And why would you mess a bike up on a turbo? Yes you might wear the rear tyre but otherwise, it’ll be exposed to more crap and rough surfaces outside

OP
OP
Trigger369

Trigger369

Über Member
The carrera add says it has just recently been serviced and 2new tyres .
Tho I think whatever I buy I would need to invest in a turbo tyre and sod pedals .

vickster

Legendary Member
The carrera add says it has just recently been serviced and 2new tyres .
Tho I think whatever I buy I would need to invest in a turbo tyre and sod pedals .
Why not Just use the tyres on it. When the rear has worn just switch the tyres round. I doubt they’ll be premium ones

Yes you may need pedals if you want to go clipless. Someone might have an old pair to sell you or buy new for £20

Is the yellow bike the right size?

OP
OP
Trigger369

Trigger369

Über Member
At the min I only have the one bike . I've been using the giant on the trainer and outside. There is a bit of wear on the rear tyre now with the trainer .it would be less hasstle to have a bike fitted on the trainer and leave it there rather than changing over wheels or bikes every other day.

vickster

Legendary Member
Yea right size 54
Go sit on it, have little ride. If it feels right, buy it

£80 fir a bike that probably cost under £200 a fair few years ago is hardly a bargain, but if it's right for you and there's nothing better around, make an offer

Top Bottom