Would u buy it (carrera)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slioch

Guru
The gear shifters on that look like they may be Shimano Tourney. I had these on one of my older bikes. A bit agricultural compared to higher spec shifters, but worked perfectly well.

You shift up to a larger cog by sweeping the brake lever across, and you shift down to a smaller cog by pressing a button on the inside of the shifters, close to where your thumb would naturally sit. Here's a picture with the button highlighted.

upload_2018-8-21_10-11-38.png

Looks like a perfectly decent enough bike to use on a turbo trainer. You could probably also dual-purpose it by using it as a winter hack if you were so minded, although you may want to take those tri-bars off first :whistle:

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Its an Apollo rather than a Carrera and as such hell will have some cheapie gear change system but will be fine for what you want.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Once you bolt a bike to a trainer it ceases to be a bike and becomes an exercise machine. Therefore why would anyone care in the slightest about things like ride quality and gearchange refinement?. You aren't actually going anywhere on it, just generating artificial resistance to turn kinetic energy into waste heat.

vickster

Legendary Member
Yea I noticed that as well . Not available on website
But it’s a reference for what the yellow one might have been new (as said it’s NOT a Carrera)
What does something like the Zelos go for used?
Although as also pointed out, it doesn’t really matter what you attach to a turbo as long as it’s comfortable (I use my carbon as I rarely ride it on the road!)

wheresthetorch

Dreaming of Celeste
I used to have one of those (the yellow Apollo) and it was £200 new in 2006. I sold it about 6 months ago for £30, though it was a bit tatty.

£80 does seem a bit steep to me, but anything is worth what you're prepared to pay for it . . .

Top Bottom