Would you be interested in training for adult cyclists?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I am a Road Safety Officer who works for a county council. At present we train about 3,500 children a year in safer cycling, but we offer nothing for adults who may be returning to cycling and that strikes me as odd to say the least.

Things have changed markedly since many adults did their Cycling Proficiency as children: just as a for instance, we no longer teach people to ride virtually in the gutter, and the idea now is to take up a position which claims the lane whenever it is appropriate.

Obviously, I'd need to make some sort of business case for offering training to adults, so I am asking here whether it might be something that would interest you. Any training would be either free of charge, or provided at a very small cost. My idea is that we ought to do something before riders get killed, or seriously injured, and we then try to shut stable doors after horses have bolted etc.

Please tell me what you think. Thanks in anticipation

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
That is odd. Most councils I've ever heard offer some kind of adult cycle training contracted out through cycling organisations. So I would say that your council sounds pretty backward and you are forward thinking and with the times. I know(ish) a few people through a cycling organisation that do it for two LAs round here. There is demand there I can tell you and they have been looking for more instructors.

On a point of order, many young adults will probably never have done the cycling proficiency as many places gave up on the scheme. So it's doubly useful.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
...I'f ratyher councils spent cash on compelling motorists to attend 'cyclist awarness ' courses....most cyclists out there are not the problem it is the aggresive self centred murderous pigs of drivers who need to be targeted.

GrahamG

Guru
Don't forget that you will also need to cater for adults who have never ridden a bike in their lives so you may need two tiers of training - total beginner to include learning to physically ride and then a skills training on-road course.

Also, if you employ one, speak to your travelwise/travel planning officer and see what is currently offered to businesses as well as individuals. It's great if you can roll something like this out to local businesses implementing travel plans.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Bristol City Council are intending on doing various things with adults/families and cycle training as part of their cycle city status. Why don't you contact RSO's in other councils to see what they are doing.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
GrahamG said:
Don't forget that you will also need to cater for adults who have never ridden a bike in their lives so you may need two tiers of training - total beginner to include learning to physically ride and then a skills training on-road course.

I've heard that this is amongst the plans for Bristol.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Excellent idea. As to making a business case, every cyclist means less strain on resources like the roads (how much does your authority spend on roads) and public transport (subsidies) and public health (tho' I don't know whether or to what extent this involves local funding).

wafflycat

[minor rant]

Having worked with highway engineers in the past...

I wish that every so called 'highways' or 'road safety' engineer had to spend at least six months of every year cycling to & from work and doing any work-related mileage on a bicycle (or trike, not fussed there!) and I wish they saw up-close-and-personal just how crap so-called cycle 'facilities' actually are.

[/minor rant]

Now that's out of the way...

Yes, in principle it would be a good idea to offer adult cycle training *if* it taught proper road skills as per national cycle training standards and was *not* used by some misguided local authority soul to push the use of 'facilities' and it would be even better if it was combined with some sort of general motorist education about how cyclists are entitled to use the roads, and how it is wrong to imitimdate and bully using a motor vehicle as a weapon. And how every cyclist was one fewer car clogging up the roads, parking spaces, better for health, etc., etc.

Plus the reality of the risk of cycling - that it really isn't as dangerous as non-cyclists and inexperienced cyclists seem to think it is.

Also - don't demand folk wear lids when cycling, it isn't a legal requirement. But do push the use of decent lights when needed. Teach basic emergency maintenance, such as how to fix a puncture, remove a link from a chain, repair a broken chain..

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
wafflycat said:
[minor rant]

Having worked with highway engineers in the past...

I wish that every so called 'highways' or 'road safety' engineer had to spend at least six months of every year cycling to & from work and doing any work-related mileage on a bicycle (or trike, not fussed there!) and I wish they saw up-close-and-personal just how crap so-called cycle 'facilities' actually are.

[/minor rant]

Not only the engineers - also the guys who actually resurface the roads after digging them up so that they did a better job.

We run adult cycle training courses hear at Cyclemagic and it is a rapidly expanding area. We basically teach Bikeabilty to adults.

You will find that a lot of women in their 30 and 40's who have kids doing Bikeability at school want to learn or have a refresher course so they feel confident riding with the kids.

We also offer cycle training to business and even teach some members of our local Police force!

One issue you will have is that a lot of people contacting you won't have a bike and will want to borrow/hire one. Not a problem for us because we run a very busy bike recycling project but it can be an issue with regard to storage etc.

There is a cycle trainers forum somewhere - I'll find it for you.

http://www.cyclemagic.org.uk/training.aspx for info about us

OP
OP
xpc316e

xpc316e

Veteran
Well, first of all, thanks for all the replies so far.

I did discuss the matter with our newly-appointed Business Travel Plan adviser, and she was very keen on being able to offer training to companies. We are to be trained to National Standards soon, so we would be able to offer training to all different levels, so beginners will not be a problem.

Thanks for telling me what other councils are up to in your areas - it's much appreciated.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Kirklees Council (West Yorks) offer bikeability to organisations and I believe individuals FOC through a bursary scheme. Get in touch with their cycling officers on 01484 221000 (main switchboard) and ask to be put through to their cycling officers who will no doubt be keen to tell you all about their scheme and its successes.

Top Bottom