Would you eat just before a TT?

Would you eat just before a TT ?

• Yes

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • No

Votes: 19 82.6%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ayceejay

Guru
What distance are you talking about?

Well without being too graphic, the only worry I have with eating before a TT, race or ride is needing a numero deux. Consequently, I always have to go before er...going. I never have a problem with gels though and the longer you leave any significant amount of food the better IMO.

I did have one of those CNP flapjack thingies about an hour before a race a few weeks ago and it was alright. Go for it.

VamP

Banned
No solids in 2 hours before race, if it's 1 hour duration or more, I'll take a gel 20-30 minutes before start.

Spartak

Powered by M&M's
Banana :smile:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
You are not going to digest anything solid in 5-10 minutes so there isn't any point in eating just before you set off. The food is either going to sit there in your belly doing nowt positive, or possibly erupt from you in a jet of projectile vomit if you are trying hard enough!

Liquids make more sense, so energy drinks might be ok in small doses. I think of gels as drinks rather than food.

I once chased a lot of fitter riders up the 4.5 mile climb straight out of Hebden Bridge and my porridge breakfast from 75 minutes earlier almost made a guest appearance at the summit! xx(

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Eat 2-3 hours before, then sip an energy drink up until it is time to go, no solids close to racing, else you will just end up with it all over you when you puke. I will sometimes neck a gel 15 mins before setting off. I usually carry 1 gel on a 25TT and take it at about 16 miles, possibly placebo, but I have done my best times when doing this rather than not doing it. Although on my fastest 25TT to date, I vomited the gel back up 2 miles after taking it, luckily it missed me and there was no following rider, didn't even break aero position!

VamP

Banned
Nice :biggrin:
Eat 2-3 hours before, then sip an energy drink up until it is time to go, no solids close to racing, else you will just end up with it all over you when you puke. I will sometimes neck a gel 15 mins before setting off. I usually carry 1 gel on a 25TT and take it at about 16 miles, possibly placebo, but I have done my best times when doing this rather than not doing it. Although on my fastest 25TT to date, I vomited the gel back up 2 miles after taking it, luckily it missed me and there was no following rider, didn't even break aero position!

oldroadman

Veteran
The best advice - already here - is eat 2-3 hours before. Then energy drink only. Digesting anything takes energy which is needed for the ride. In any race up to an hour, no need for anything other than water/energy drink. Gels are a mixed blessing, they might be more of a mental boost (placebo) than anything else.
The only thing to absorb in a short/med TT is plenty of pain.

Top Bottom