Would you eat just before a TT?

Would you eat just before a TT ?

• Yes

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • No

Votes: 19 82.6%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Pre-race routine:
3 hours before: Large bowl of Porridge + Cup of Espresso
2.5 hours before: 330-500ml Beetroot Juice
2 hours before up until 20 mins before: Sip Sports/Carbohydrate/Energy Drink
45 mins before Olbas oil on cotton buds up nose
30 mins before take my preventer inhaler (suffer from exercise induced asthma)
15-20 mins before, a Gel w/ Caffiene
2 mins before Airways menthol gum (keep this in mouth during race, spit it out at ~6 miles into a 10, at about half way during a 25, or when it starts to bother me) - This prevents dry mouth and helps keep airways clear

During:
10 mile: Nothing
25 mile: Water w/ Electrolytes if it is very hot (I don't drink during a 25 unless it is very hot) + 1xGel in time to get the hit for the last 3-5 miles, so about 13-16 miles in.

Post-race:
As soon as possible Recovery shake (or milk if you can transport it without it going bad)
Once cleaned up and changed etc, Cup of coffee and a slice of cake
Within 2 hours: A meal of your choice

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Pre-race routine:
3 hours before: Large bowl of Porridge + Cup of Espresso
2.5 hours before: 330-500ml Beetroot Juice
2 hours before up until 20 mins before: Sip Sports/Carbohydrate/Energy Drink
45 mins before Olbas oil on cotton buds up nose
30 mins before take my preventer inhaler (suffer from exercise induced asthma)
15-20 mins before, a Gel w/ Caffiene
2 mins before Airways menthol gum (keep this in mouth during race, spit it out at ~6 miles into a 10, at about half way during a 25, or when it starts to bother me) - This prevents dry mouth and helps keep airways clear

During:
10 mile: Nothing
25 mile: Water w/ Electrolytes if it is very hot (I don't drink during a 25 unless it is very hot) + 1xGel in time to get the hit for the last 3-5 miles, so about 13-16 miles in.

Post-race:
As soon as possible Recovery shake (or milk if you can transport it without it going bad)
Once cleaned up and changed etc, Cup of coffee and a slice of cake
Within 2 hours: A meal of your choice
You left out the final line of the Post-race section ...

Go back and pick up the gum! :stop:

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Fossala has a point - can't you just stick it on your bars? You could even mould it into a tiny aero shape to minimise drag...

This is essentially what I do, but to a redundant Garmin mount on the stem. However, this is a thread about nutrition with regards to a time trial, I offered a fairly comprehensive example of my race day nutrition/routine. No-one bothered to ask what I do with the gum when I spit it out, instead they ignorantly made assumptions and/or announced how their level of respect for me had fluctuated downwards, which I maintain, I couldn't give a toss about.

Last edited:

fossala

Guru
This is essentially what I do, but to a redundant Garmin mount on the stem. However, this is a thread about nutrition with regards to a time trial, I offered a fairly comprehensive example of my race day nutrition/routine. No-one bothered to ask what I do with the gum when I spit it out, instead they ignorantly made assumptions and/or announced how their level of respect for me had fluctuated downwards, which I maintain, I couldn't give a toss about.
To spit it out describes you spitting. If you say you don't spit it out, maybe you need to change your language to one that describes your actions better.

People (me) didn't jump to conclusions, we (I) acted on what you said.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
To spit it out describes you spitting. If you say you don't spit it out, maybe you need to change your language to one that describes your actions better.

People (me) didn't jump to conclusions, we (I) acted on what you said.

Correct, "to spit" does described me "spitting" which is exactly what I do.

Spit = To eject from the mouth

I eject it from my mouth, into my hand, then stick it on the Garmin mount i.e. I spit it out.

I do not need to correct my language at all. It was an accurate use of the term. You did jump to a conclusion/make an assumption in ignorance!

screenman

Legendary Member
If it is an open event and the tea ladies have done a good spread, and I get a late start then I would have a couple of cakes, well you know what it is like with a late start all the best cakes have been sold.^_^

I would certainly not eat within a couple of hours of a very short TT like a 5 or a 10, blimey they are mostly eyeballs out from the go, if you keep it in I would say you are not trying hard enough.

I might have something light closer to the start of a longer event. Such as a 50 or a 100 where the pace will be slightly less stressful for a while at least.

Last edited:

oldroadman

Veteran
Correct, "to spit" does described me "spitting" which is exactly what I do.

Spit = To eject from the mouth

I eject it from my mouth, into my hand, then stick it on the Garmin mount i.e. I spit it out.

I do not need to correct my language at all. It was an accurate use of the term. You did jump to a conclusion/make an assumption in ignorance!

Sometimes the will to live seems to fade a little......:sad:

Cyclopathic

Veteran
Aw dude, spitting gum out is rank. When I become dictator of all Britain I'm going to impose a huge levy on all non medicinal gums to pay for the cleaning costs on the streets and roads and pavements. Even if that means making it like £20 per stick or piece. So be warned.

Ok so I've just read your amendment to the whole "gum" issue and I'm pleased that is the case. Simply take the above as a general mission statement that is in no way directed at yourself or other responsible gum users. (Yes I do realise my policies will hit the few responsible gum chewers fairly hard and unfairly but likely this will pale into insignificance when compared to the raft of other things I will be doing as Chief Dictator of Britain. :smile:

Last edited:
Top Bottom