Would you expect to eat something during a 50 miler?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tin Pot

Guru
Agree .... where you only burn fat. BUT at low intensities you burn proportionally more fat and less glycogen which keeps you going further whereas at high intensities you run closer to 100% glycogen of which stores are pretty limited.

Umm...what?

Could you guys post a diagram of how you think the metabolic system works?

I would start off pre-fed and pre-hydrated and carry some snacks, nibbles, a sandwich, whatever.
On 70 milers+ I would eat the bar-tape if I don't carry food, or go all Ray Mears and find some berries or roadkill.

Prehydrating for me is drinking about 1 pint of something, usually weak tea, about 1hr before a ride, so I'm peeing clear at the start. I can't prehydrate on very cold drinks.

Eat if you feel hungry. Don't eat if don't feel hungry.

Drink if you'r thirsty, don't drink if you're not.

Stop and have a rest if you feel like it.

Why do we manage to make riding a bike so complicated?
Not every body behaves like this. After about 50 miles, my hunger and thirst disappear. I have to force myself to eat and drink; even when I am badly flagging, I don't feel any hunger.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
50 miles = 2 shedded wheat before the ride and a bottle of drink on the bike, Then a bit of grub when the ride is finished. Longer rides you may need more depends how you feel on the day. I have done many big rides on a breakfast alone. But as someone said earlier if you get hungry eat. We are all different, we have a guy rides with us who seems to spend the whole ride eating, then complains he is struggling when we are on the hills.:wacko:

Katherine

Guru
I don't think eggs have much if any carbohydrate in them? They will bung you up to counteract the gels though!
Eggs are useful because they have a low GI score. There's no evidence that they bung you up. Probably an old wives tale.

Doyleyburger

Veteran
For a 50 miler I would take a banana and a handful of dates. Dates seem to work better for me than gels for example. I also mix 2-3 tbs of sugar into my water bottle. Sugar will keep you going for longer. That being said it should be compulsory for a cyclist to stop for coffee and a bite to eat when doing at least 50 miles :rolleyes:

tyred

Legendary Member
For a 50 miler I would take a banana and a handful of dates. Dates seem to work better for me than gels for example. I also mix 2-3 tbs of sugar into my water bottle. Sugar will keep you going for longer. That being said it should be compulsory for a cyclist to stop for coffee and a bite to eat when doing at least 50 miles :rolleyes:

:stop:If your main destination isn't a nice cafe/pub with some tasty substance then you're doing it wrong:wacko:

Top Bottom