Would you expect to eat something during a 50 miler?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I done a 50 miler yesterday and was pretty tired by the end of it. I usually stop to eat at some point for this distance but didnt bother this time. Mostly coz I had a good breakfast before leaving but also because I couldnt be bothered. Just want to know how you guys go about riding these sorts of distances. So far this is about my limit or close enough to it.

I typically ride about 20mph on the flat but if I want to go further I guess I will have to go slower. I often hear how people do 70+ and occasionally 100 miles. At the moment this sort of distances seem beyond me and I wish to improve on this. Just to give me some sort of idea of level of effort, how fast would you be riding on a flat road in good conditions if doing such rides? How often would you stop to eat? Any other advice you feel relevant.

rugby bloke

Veteran
If you can comfortably ride 50 miles at 20mph then 100 miles is easily in your range. Once you build up to 70 miles then the final 30 is as much in your head as in your legs. It is just a matter of pacing yourself through the whole distance.
When I did RideLondon last year I averaged around 16.6 mph for the trip, although this average was pushed up by the closed roads, I would normally be in the high 15s for a training ride through rolling countryside.
As for eating, most definitely yes. What you eat is down to personal choice - jelly babies, bananas, cheese sarnies, pork pies, flapjack ... although perhaps not all at the same time ! There is much to be said for the restorative powers of a pot of tea and a slice of cake.

oldroadman

Veteran
Eat a good carbo feed about 2-3 hours before your ride. Porridge is good, eggs, pasta, maybe a small piece of chicken, plenty of fluids. Have a strong coffee 20 minutes before the off. During a longer ride (over 90 minutes) top up with fluids, and try to eat something about every 30 minutes. gels are OK but canupset your digestion, so care there. bananas are excellent, potassium, carbo, and all ready wrapped. You could try honey rolls (make crustless sandwich, cut in three, roll up, put in foil for the pocket), jelly babies are OK but empty calories. Most important, keep hydrated, if you feel thirsy it's too late. We all have our own levels, at race speed I would use about 500ml an hour (or more when it's hot). Keep steady speed, good quality shorts, big dollop of chamois cream (or Sudocrem works well and is cheap!). Lowish gears, climb within yourself, and long rides up to 200km are attainable. Just build up slowly to the distance - and enjoy.

vickster

Legendary Member
I don't think eggs have much if any carbohydrate in them? They will bung you up to counteract the gels though!

Erudin

Veteran
If you are pushing hard you need to top up on carbs, if riding at a lower intensity you should be able to cope as you will be burning some fat. When I was dieting last year I was doing up to 90 mile rides without eating much (flat white coffees and a banana) staying within Heart rate Zones 1-3 and averaging around 12 mph.

From http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/how-target-your-heart-rate-get-into-the-fat-burning-zone/

In fact, when you hit higher level of intensity your body is most likely burning off the short-term stores of sugar and carbohydrates you took in during your last meal. (This explains why you’re so hungry after an intense workout!) To really target the long-term savings bank where your body stores fat, you need to opt for lower intensity activities that keep your heart rate in the fat-burning zone for longer.

Fat Burning Zone: Slow is the key word here. Keep your pace moderate enough to remain in your target heart-rate zone (60% to 70% of your max heart rate).

Attachments

• heart rate zones.jpg
    heart rate zones.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:

ayceejay

Guru
There is a tendency to over complicate issues, I blame the internet. Not all cyclists are potential TdF winners that's why Wiggins got the knighthood and you didn't.
Go for a ride, if it is a long ride take some food that you can stop and eat and take some concentrated emergency food just in case (bring it back if you don't bonk) and enjoy yourself for Chrissake.
If you think you are in with a chance, and 20 mph is pretty fast then that is different.

Citius

There isn't really a fat burning zone, unfortunately, regardless of what people might think. You body will always metabolize any or all of its energy sources in more or less equal measure. You might 'burn' slightly more fat at lower level intensities, but there's not really much in it.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
There isn't really a fat burning zone, unfortunately, regardless of what people might think. You body will always metabolize any or all of its energy sources in more or less equal measure. You might 'burn' slightly more fat at lower level intensities, but there's not really much in it.
Well yes and no.

Certainly at higher intensities the body will preferentially use glycogen as its primary energy source because it is much more efficient for musles to use. @Erudin has it about right. Depletion of glycogen leads to 'the bonk' and a the hunger response for sweet things.
At lower intensity levels the body uses a fuel mix where fat is a greater proportion of the overall fuel mix and the rate of glycogen usage is proportionally less.
As a result you can generally go further without refuelling at lower speeds than at higher speeds and much further before you experience 'the bonk'.

Where I'm not aligned with @Erudin is in the accuracy of the whole heart rate/zone thing. But I agree with the basic principles.

Tin Pot

Guru
I done a 50 miler yesterday and was pretty tired by the end of it. I usually stop to eat at some point for this distance but didnt bother this time. Mostly coz I had a good breakfast before leaving but also because I couldnt be bothered. Just want to know how you guys go about riding these sorts of distances. So far this is about my limit or close enough to it.

I typically ride about 20mph on the flat but if I want to go further I guess I will have to go slower. I often hear how people do 70+ and occasionally 100 miles. At the moment this sort of distances seem beyond me and I wish to improve on this. Just to give me some sort of idea of level of effort, how fast would you be riding on a flat road in good conditions if doing such rides? How often would you stop to eat? Any other advice you feel relevant.

Is it a race, a training session or a leisure ride? :smile:

On a leisure ride I'd take a banana for three or four hours. Stop for lunch if it's much longer than that.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
If you can ride 50 then you can ride 100. Just have a rest after 50 then do it again. Making it interesting and enjoyable helps. Breaking the ride up into sections and celebrating each section with a carefully calibrated dose of sports nutrition such as a pork pie or an Eccles cake or both may be an idea. I don't want to get too technical, but it's a scientific fact that riding in the "Melton Mowbray zone" will get you further.

Having bailout points by riding parallel to a railway line can give you the confidence to go further.

It kind of goes without saying that if you're thing to try a longer distance for the first time then do it over flatter terrain.

From your post you seem to be quite focused on speed. If you are aiming for longer distances, then maybe put less mental emphasis on this and more on distance.

I see from your avatar that you are experimenting with subtle hidden mechanical assistance. This too may help.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Well, just no. Like I say, the notion of a 'fat burning zone' - ie a zone where you only 'burn' fat - is a total myth.
Agree .... where you only burn fat. BUT at low intensities you burn proportionally more fat and less glycogen which keeps you going further whereas at high intensities you run closer to 100% glycogen of which stores are pretty limited.

Top Bottom