Would you live in Canberra?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
go. and when you get there and the friendly locals invite you to all and sundry goings on - don't say no. I doubt it will take long to wonder what the indecision was all about.

unless you have family that you are likely to really miss, and I do mean really miss. but there is always facetime etc.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I was going to say why the hell not till I saw this:

flares.jpg

DON'T DO IT! ;)

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Which would you regret more ... Going, and not liking it as much as you had hoped, or not going, and missing the chance of a lifetime?

I will always regret not taking up a place I was offered at Oklahoma State University when I was younger. At the time I was probably not experienced, confident or mature enough to take the plunge (unlike my friends, I did not get offered a full scholarship, so would have had to work for my living expenses, and the thought of having to find a job in a new country as well as attending uni scared me off). Looking back, I can justify my decision, and things have worked out pretty well for me since .... but if you don't do these things, part of you will always wonder whether you made a mistake. Life is short. Two years is definitely a short time.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
In a heartbeat. It's only a limited time for the job so why not. You are not stuck there forever if you hate it so why not.

I love Australia and would have loved to live there but my skills are not the ones that they want.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
My Mother's Cousin went out there to live about 10 years ago and have only recently come back. The kids loved it (they were about 6 and 8 IIRC). As others have said, it is a bit modern/sterile but perfectly livable. It has quickly become quite expensive, if you're used to London or Dublin prices then it won't be an issue. The weather does encourage a far more outdoorsy lifestyle which I loved when I lived out there (I didn't live in Canberra though). I did have the opportunity to live in Oz for a year and I loved it. I'd say go for it, it's only 2 years and it's only 24hours back to the UK if it gets depressingly bad, which I'm sure it won't.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Oh, another thought/tip: If you save your pay slips you can claim lots of the tax back, either by doing it yourself or the easier way is to use taxback.com or something, they take a cut but it's an easier process and you'd still end up with several hundred quid in your pocket.

Drago

Legendary Member
No, I just don't like urban or suburban Australia. If I had to relocate there for a few years and the money as right (as in 6 figures a year) then I might put up with it, but I'd never settle there.

Durian

Über Member
I would say go for it too. You might find you enjoy living there and if the opportunity arises to stay longer or permanently then you can stay. One thing you should ask, if you haven't already, is if you decided Australia wasn't for you would your husband get his job back in his present location in the UK and at the same, or higher grade?

pplpilot

Guru
I've spent a lot of time travelling / working / living in Oz and Canberra is the least of my favorite city there, however for a couple of years I personally think you'd be mad not to go and experience it.
Don't do what a lot of other EX pats do and keep yourselves to yourselves and get labeled a whinging pom , the Aussies will blank you from the word go, social bunch that expect you to 'Fit in or f**k off!' as the locals say... If I could get the job I'd like i'd be there in a heartbeat (we have visas to emigrate)

Fubar

Guru
I've got the chance of going to live in Canberra for a couple of years. It's to do my husband's work, a 2-3 year secondment.

I'm wondering if anyone here would take the opportunity? I know nothing about the place, other than it is the capital city of Australia. There are lots of questions to be asked and it may all come to nothing, but it would give me chance to 'heal' which is what my body needs now (no more ops or appointments, just time) and we have few if any commitments or reasons for not going other than a need to be back in the UK for my sister's wedding next august, but that if something we could built into the t&c's. We have no kids and currently rent. The only relative that would have stopped us leaving, (as in we would not have gone because of him) has just died in the past 2 months and my parents are set to become snow birds all year round!

So I'm wondering, if you had the option would you go? I'm not a city person, but Canberra looks to be a different type of city and I'm wondering if the change would do me the world of good? The alternative is to buy a house and settle down, something that is scarring the living daylights out of me!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! We'd miss you too much!!!!!!!!!

Oh, you can still access CC from Australia? Oh, ok then - you can go.

Top Bottom