Would you park a bike of £2000.00 at an open train station cycle park?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gbola

I am considering buying a trek bike worth about £2,000.00 next year when I start working in London. However, I would need to be parking it with other bikes at an open cycle park of Woolwich Arsenal station in London in the morning till evening when return from work. The thought of leaving it that long with the threat of being stolen is already dissuading me from buying such an expensive bike. What do others in similar situation do? I mean those with expensive commuting bikes?

Davidc

Guru
No.

How about buying a cheapie/ second hand bike for the ride to the railway station and keeping the £2000 one for other riding?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
No, I would not!

I don't care how good a lock you'd plan on using - a determined thief can still find a way to steal the bike. I've also seen many still-locked expensive bikes which have been kicked or jumped on, and others which have had their component parts stripped off them.

I'd buy the cheapest, ugliest bike that I could stand to ride and would expect it to get stolen or vandalised. I'd then use the insurance money to replace it with a similar one.

Get comprehensive insurance and check the small print includes leaving it at a recognised station cycle stand and make sure you buy an approved lock, consider fitting an electronic tag. Other than that think other folks leave £20k + of car lying around every day, no point being scared of using something that way the scrotes win before they even start.

OP
OP
G

Gbola

Then I would not buy an expensive bike then. I have never been a believer of buying something you can not use regularly. However, what about boardman hybrid comp? Is it reasonable to leave that at the train station?

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I wouldn't leave any valuable bike locked at a railway station.
Get a cheap (and I mean £50 tops) heap and expect it to be stolen / vandalised every so often, and keep the good bike(s) for weekends, evenings and the like.

martint235

Dog on a bike
I wouldn't leave a £50 bike at Woolwich Arsenal station even with the best lock available. Any reason why you can't commute in to London from there on the bike?

Or you could get a Brommie and take it with you.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
However, what about boardman hybrid comp? Is it reasonable to leave that at the train station?
It's reasonable as long as you understand that it might be stolen or vandalised. I'm not saying don't do it - just be realistic about it. If an insured bike got stolen after a couple of years use, that wouldn't be too bad. I think the more expensive the bike, the more likely it is to be trashed or stolen.

(Let me put it to you this way - Hebden Bridge is just a small town in West Yorkshire. Its station has a collection of lockable metal bike enclosures located directly in front of a CCTV camera. That didn't stop someone walking up and levering the side off one enclosure and stealing the bike from inside! If it happens here, I'm sure that it happens in London!)

OP
OP
G

Gbola

I have two bikes presently: peugeot hexagone hybrid bike that came complete with all the accessories worth £360 and boardman hybrid comp worth £600 with the accessories. Would it be reasonable to leave the peugeot at the station then? Or are you guy saying I would need to go and get another bike that is worth about £100.00 to be leaving at the train station?

OP
OP
G

Gbola

My
I wouldn't leave a £50 bike at Woolwich Arsenal station even with the best lock available. Any reason why you can't commute in to London from there on the bike?

Or you could get a Brommie and take it with you.
My place of work is about 17miles (West London) from my home (South East London) and I think it would take too long for me to get to work considering traffics and the nature of my job. While the train station is about 4 mile from my house which would be give about 8 miles of cycling per day, that I consider reasonable.

Top Bottom