Would you park a bike of £2000.00 at an open train station cycle park?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Here is how NOT to secure your bike. Seen in Blois, France , last year:

IMG_1158.jpg

CamPhil

Interesting you should say that. I was alerted to this: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/hiplok-bicy...utm_campaign=november&utm_content=uk-22-11-11

Looks like a pretty neat solution.

Looks like an interesting way of increasing demand for artificial replacement hips to me.
Something solid enough to secure a bicycle is not something I want to be wearing on the bicycle, and certainly not if I hit the ground, or anything else solid.
It's not as if there was any shortage of ways to carry a lock on the bike itself.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
I am now going to write something most sacrilegious:

I really don't get the 'folder' thing.

I resisted MTBs, but then I got it and love it.

I resisted fixed-gear, but then got it and love it.

Brompton-type folders just leave me cold. I've tried to love them, but they do not touch my soul.

Luggage is great and bicycles are great, but I'm not sure about making a hybrid of those two things.

A Brompton is fun to ride, but not as much fun as a nice, steel road bike.

I giggle on the Paddington train as people clamber on between Moreton and Reading with their Bromptons... It's a expensive way to buy the right to clunk other passengers in the shin.

I lose time by having to go to the rear of the train and get my bike, but despite being a rat, it is lovely to ride. A Brompton is a thing of wonder, but it is not lovely to ride.

I used to use 4x4s in my work (L/Cruisers, Defenders and so on). They are fabulous off-road, but just a dull, unresponsive, thirsty, noisy drag on-road. I would never think of driving one on tarmac unless there was no choice.

Similarly, whilst I love luggage when its function is to be luggage, I would not think of going out for a ride on it. It is luggage.

My advice (which you will not regret following) is to get a ratbike and keep it at the station in good but inconspicuous condition. Keep two if you want; one at each end.

Buy a Brompton if you must, but it's like plating football with a rugby ball. Amusing in its own way, but slightly missing the point.

PS. Although this is my sincere opinion, I confess that it is written with a smile not entirely without a slightly wry quality.

What's not to get? It doesn't need to touch your soul - it just needs to fold up. And as for giggling when people get on the train - I'd advise against it, unless you don't mind being taken for an imbecile.

400bhp

Guru
Looks like an interesting way of increasing demand for artificial replacement hips to me.
Something solid enough to secure a bicycle is not something I want to be wearing on the bicycle, and certainly not if I hit the ground, or anything else solid.
It's not as if there was any shortage of ways to carry a lock on the bike itself.

I'd suggest reading about it first before making a judgement:smile:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
fwiw I frequently ride with a u-lock through my belt. I don't want my paint scratched nor do I want to fit a lock bracket. I don't plan to fall off either.

Bicycle

What's not to get? It doesn't need to touch your soul - it just needs to fold up. And as for giggling when people get on the train - I'd advise against it, unless you don't mind being taken for an imbecile.

Tee Hee.... I post nonsense on an online forum.

Of course I don't mind being taken for an imbecile.

It's the ones who take these things seriously we should be worried about. :wacko:

abo

Then I would not buy an expensive bike then. I have never been a believer of buying something you can not use regularly. However, what about boardman hybrid comp? Is it reasonable to leave that at the train station?

*any* bike is liable to be vandalised or accidentally damaged. Which is one of the reasons why people are suggesting riding a cheapo; if your £50 bike gets vandalised you're probably gonna be annoyed that you're getting the bus home that day. If it's your £2000 Trek then I suspect your anger may go beyond the bus ride...

Top Bottom