Wow! I am seriously out of shape!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
O

Oddjob62

domtyler said:
Do you live in the Highgate/Muswell Hill area?
Close, Hampstead

User1314 said:
What's your proposed London route?

Quickest is Straight down Fitzjohns Av, through Swiss Cottage, down Avenue Rd, round Regent's Park and then down Marylebone High St. I can easily extend my route by adding a lap or two of Regents Park. Nice wide roads with lots of greenery and very little traffic :biggrin:

domtyler

Über Member
Oddjob62 said:
Close, Hampstead

Ha, not too far out then! I used to live in Onslow Gardens, off Muswell Hill road myself many moons ago and know it is one of the few places in London which can lay claim to have anything more than a gentle incline! :biggrin:

Looking at your bike spec it is more sports than mountain so may not have the best gearing. You could try putting a smaller gear on the smallest ring on the front for now until you get more into it.

I am 12 stone and feel fairly fit (did 100 miler recently) but if I had another 8 stone on the bike it would be a different matter, not sure if I would last an hour. So my point is you may be fitter than you think but carrying extra weight is showing up on the uphills as you are pulling more weight up the hill so need a lot more effort.
Keep at it, it can only get better. I had trouble with 7 miles a couple of years ago when I started. I put on some weight with muscle build but then lost 2 stone once I got up to a good few hours a week,.

OP
OP
O

Oddjob62

Thanks for all the advice and encouragement folks, I'll be reporting back regularly with my progress.

Over The Hill said:
You could try putting a smaller gear on the smallest ring on the front for now until you get more into it.
TBH i don't think this is an issue, even on the steepest roads, my main issue wasn't the force i needed to put on the pedals on the lowest gear, but more the speed at which i need to pedal to keep my balance. A smaller gear would mean even more quicker pedaling required... and that would definitely kill me xx(

OP
OP
O

Oddjob62

WOOHOO!!!!

Bit the bullet and decided to just see how far i could go. As expected, the ride in was very pleasant. But all day i was dreading the return.

Ok, so now i'm completely drenched in sweat and i think cutting out my quads with a blunt knife would hurt less than they do now (after only 5 miles cycling), but i made it straight to the top of the hill without putting my foot down once :smile: Some parts were touch and go, and i was never coming out of bottom gear... but am well chuffed with the result ;)

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Hi Oddjob
Sounds like you're in a similar scenario to myself - except I am a couple of years older and a couple of stones heavier :blush:

Been cycling 5 miles in and 6 miles home to St Pauls each day now for about 5 or 6 weeks... really getting into it and have so far lost just over half a stone. Hopefully I will be able to curb my appetite for bad food and increase this loss rate soon!

I am SW London (Clapham Junction - almost at the top of Lavender hill) so I know how you feel with the uphill stretch back to home :sad:

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Just take it easy. Ride a bit faster than your walking pace to start, and work up from there. Don't be afraid to take a day off if it feels like hard work.

OP
OP
O

Oddjob62

Well it's been a month, and getting easier every week. Hampstead hill is no longer filling me with dread... although I'd still not call it easy by any means. I've got a 2nd hand Raleigh racer arriving next week, to be turned into a fixie, that will take me back to dreading the hill i'm sure.

Sittingduck, good to hear from another commuting "fatty". I know the bad food cravings all too well... it haunts me every day. I love food :blush:

Ludwig

Hopeless romantic
If you start very steadily and gradually increase the tempo and do several 1 hour plus rides weekly you will be able to tackle most hills and your weight will gradually come down. If you do some high intensity speed and hill type interval work you fitness will increase quite quickly. A longish ride of 2 or more hours with a few efforts up hills and acceleration burst is very good conditioning work.

soulful dog

Veteran
I love reading threads like this, keeps me motivated! Good to hear it's getting easier for you (and Sittingduck), it does start to get a bit more enjoyable doesn't it. :thumbsup:

I unfortunately can't commute but after pottering about for ages getting used to being on a bike I started to try and go out as regularly as I could and after a few months I really did start to feel as if I was getting somewhere. I haven't lost any weight at all, but was certainly feeling fitter, and though I still haven't been any great distance the 13 mile circular route I had done four times was starting to feel pretty good.

I've had a bit of a setback after being without my bike for a few weeks while it was getting repaired. Just been back out in the last couple of days and not only am I knackered after a few miles (and any kind of hill), my backside is sore too :rolleyes:

So I'd recommend sticking at it and don't take a prolonged break!

Top Bottom