Wow! I am seriously out of shape!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oddjob62

Background:
30, 20st, never been a big into cycling, but can do the basics. spent a summer riding quite regularly about 5 years ago. Just bought a Specialized Globe Sport last week. Not got the confidence to commute through the London rush hour yet, getting used to these narrow tires (previous bikes were a BMX and a old mountain bike), plus the ride home is one big hill, and fear i may die if I try it before i get at least a bit of fitness back.

Currently doing some short evening rides and after 10 minutes i'm gasping :eek: since every road around my house is a steep hill :smile:. Ahh well, hopefully i'll be able to start commuting in a few weeks.

Anyway... that's my intro... hi everyone :biggrin:

Maz

Guru
Welcome,
It'll take time to build up your stamina, so stick with it, man.
How far is your commute?

Willow

That's me too my 10 year old just whizzed past me up the hill on his mountain bike and I'm with the go faster stripes thinking that's 2 miles how will I manage 7 to work.

OP
OP
O

Oddjob62

Maz said:
Welcome,
How far is your commute?
Peanuts compared to most, i currently walk it every day. It's between 6-10miles round trip depending on what route i take. Once i can bike it, i'll find a longer route, aiming for an hour trip each way.

OP
OP
O

Oddjob62

suzi said:
That's me too my 10 year old just whizzed past me up the hill on his mountain bike and I'm with the go faster stripes thinking that's 2 miles how will I manage 7 to work.

The getting to work will be easy as it's all downhill... if it wasn't for the lights i could probably coast there without having to pedal at all :eek:.... the return journey..... ok i feel ill thinking about itxx(

LLB

Oddjob62 said:
Peanuts compared to most, i currently walk it every day. It's between 6-10miles round trip depending on what route i take. Once i can bike it, i'll find a longer route, aiming for an hour trip each way.

Take your time and don't try and do the journey in 5 minutes. Make sure the bike fits you properly as well as it will make for much more effort if its not set up right, and keep the tyres pumped up to reduce rolling resistance. Get a trip counter so you can see what your average is and you can then look at targets on repeat journeys

You are using new muscles to walking, so its going to hurt for a while, but 3 months should see a reasonable level of fitness if you make the effort to have a go every day or other day

doyler78

For all those hills make sure you use your gears well - that's what they are there for. Don't worry if your legs seem to be going round rather quickly and you going nowhere fast. This will train your cardio system much better than grinding (push high gears) which will red zone you quickly and doesn't do much to help your base fitness which is what is lacking in your case. As you start to build fitness you will find that you can choose higher gears for the same effort and that means you will increase your speed and shows that you are increasing your own fitness.

OP
OP
O

Oddjob62

doyler78 said:
For all those hills make sure you use your gears well - that's what they are there for.

Oh don't worry... i'm very comfortable at dropping down to the bottom gear... the road just before my house is about 40degrees, so i have no choice hehe.

Gotcha on the point about not grinding, I've actually got pretty strong legs from years of heavy squatting (over 200kg at one point), so i find grinding comes naturally, but as you say... i (and my knees) won't last long doing that.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Walking 6 miles every day..great....

Nope keep at the cycling, ask lots of questions, BUT don't be afraid to ask - that's what this section is about - loads of us with years of experience (and scars) to prove it...... you'll shed the weight no problem.. remember...no pain...no gain......

We're all happy to help here !!!! more on bikes, less cars on road...plus it will save you a fortune (nah don't believe that, as you'll be buying kit and bikes and more, and more...)

ASC1951

Guru
Oddjob62 said:
i currently walk it every day. It's between 6-10miles round trip depending on what route i take.
If you are looking for fitness, you would be better running it, second best walking it. Cycling is the most efficient so the least exercise.

Yes, I'm with you. Stick with the bike and build up to a longer route.

OP
OP
O

Oddjob62

ASC1951 said:
If you are looking for fitness, you would be better running it, second best walking it. Cycling is the most efficient so the least exercise.

Yes, I'm with you. Stick with the bike and build up to a longer route.

Unfortunately at 20stone, running is not really an option, even walking for the last 7 months i have picked up quite a few (albeit relatively mild) injuries (knees and ankles), and as i said, when i start cycling i will take a longer route, so i will be cycling for 1hour instead of walking for 1hour (a couple of laps round Regents Park should do)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
ASC1951 said:
Cycling is the most efficient so the least exercise.

Nope it's not - you get out what you put in......

Ride hard you'll get very fit, pootle about without breaking into a sweat then you'll never get fit.

Easy !! :smile:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
For your return journey don't set impossible targets... so what if you get off and walk abit... just note where you can get upto on your hill and see if you can get a bit further the next time and so on... there is a real sense of achievement the first time you overcome a hill... there are still a couple that I walk part way either sometimes or everytime depending on my energy levels (as like you ... I'm at the top of a big hill).

Top Bottom