Wow! I am seriously out of shape!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Yup, I am definitely sticking with it I-Mac... I think I am hooked! Even taken to going out at the weekend at dawn because I dont want to miss the 2 days of riding. Although I do rest one one of them, as I believe this is beneficial? Did a 9 miler this morning taking it pretty easy and wasn't feeling any tiredness in my legs at all afterwards (hada few decent sized hills along the route I took too).

Bring on the 2012 Olympics I say! :biggrin:

yenrod

Oddjob62 said:
Background:
30, 20st, never been a big into cycling, but can do the basics. spent a summer riding quite regularly about 5 years ago. Just bought a Specialized Globe Sport last week. Not got the confidence to commute through the London rush hour yet, getting used to these narrow tires (previous bikes were a BMX and a old mountain bike), plus the ride home is one big hill, and fear i may die if I try it before i get at least a bit of fitness back.

Currently doing some short evening rides and after 10 minutes i'm gasping :smile: since every road around my house is a steep hill :biggrin:. Ahh well, hopefully i'll be able to start commuting in a few weeks.

Anyway... that's my intro... hi everyone :smile:

You serious - you should come up North !

OP
OP
O

Oddjob62

yenrod said:
You serious - you should come up North !

Well ok it may be nothing for you, but Hampstead hill is considered pretty tough for London. I live near the top, so there's no such thing as an "easy little ride" for me.

wlc1

Thats the highest point in london, mabye even inside the M25.

Well done Oddjob... you should be very proud.

Don't give up but don't under estimate the importance of rest. Your body needs it every now and then.

OP
OP
O

Oddjob62

wlc1 said:
Don't give up but don't under estimate the importance of rest. Your body needs it every now and then.

Oh don't worry... i'm a bike n00b, but i've been a regular gym goer for many years (plus played rugby for 5 years, and American football for 6). I also list sleeping as one of my top fav activities. I know just how important rest is. In fact i tool 4 weeks off from the gym to let my body get used to the cycling (longest i've had off in the last 6 years)

Perry

I've just cycled home from night shift, feeling great.

I haven't lost much weight but my waist is getting smaller.

My journey is only 7 miles eachway. I read on here that I should do a longer ride (twice the miles) every now and then which will make my commute seem even shorter.

Glad you are sticking with it.

doyler78

Perry said:
I've just cycled home from night shift, feeling great.

I haven't lost much weight but my waist is getting smaller.

My journey is only 7 miles eachway. I read on here that I should do a longer ride (twice the miles) every now and then which will make my commute seem even shorter.

Its the best thing I ever done as longer journeys will make the shorter ones seem much easier because you are increasing your endurance. I like to do one longer commute a week and then I do a weekend ride and it definitely made a difference to not only my average speed over my normal commute but also to how hard it felt. Of course going faster just makes you want to go faster again. Vicious circle but an enjoyable one.

Normally you would expect to see weight loss a few weeks after starting cycling however these tend to slow as you start converting fat to muscle which is heavier therefore whilst you can see the physical benefits in your body shape you will not see it quite so dramatically on the scales.

Forget the scales and use a tape measure round the widdest part in your waist/stomach area and just watch those numbers drop. You may of course being dong this already as you say you can see the changes in your body shape.

Keep up the good work the both of you.

td1982

Well done oddjob, i'm also on the wrong side of 20st(23st 8lb) to be precise, currently doing 20mile daily round trip from sutton to hampton hill, excellent on the way as have a big down hill Worcester park high st for those that no the area, nightmare on way back. still using a knackered mtb with front sus and 1.5 slicks, pb of 35mins there 41 back.

Finally starting to lose my moobs wifes are bigger than mine now!

col

Legendary Member
Nice one oddjob,you have it harder than most with that hill as a new cyclist,but looks like you know what your doing.

OP
OP
O

Oddjob62

td1982 said:
Well done oddjob, i'm also on the wrong side of 20st(23st 8lb) to be precise, currently doing 20mile daily round trip from sutton to hampton hill, excellent on the way as have a big down hill Worcester park high st for those that no the area, nightmare on way back. still using a knackered mtb with front sus and 1.5 slicks, pb of 35mins there 41 back.

Finally starting to lose my moobs wifes are bigger than mine now!

You'll be the good side of 20st in no time if you keep that up mate. Good work!

Started extending my route by adding laps (about 2.5miles) of Regents Park, nice quiet wide roads, very little traffic, and quite a few cute females out for a morning job :blush:. Plan on adding a lap every few weeks (currently on 2)

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Give us an update on the progress Oddjob :ohmy:

I have only lost about 12 lbs so far ;) getting very addicted to it though and taken to longer rides on Sunday mornings. Went out 17.5 miles this morning and broke the landspeed record for a cycling duck @ 27.5 mph :ohmy:

OP
OP
O

Oddjob62

Sittingduck said:
Give us an update on the progress Oddjob :ohmy:

Well, the cycling is going well. A few weeks ago after having not much noticeable improvement, my fitness suddenly rocketed up (almost over a weekend ;))and since then, the ride home has been a lot easier. I'm now adding an extra lap round regents park in the morning (taking my morning commute up to 13.5 miles).

My other hobby is heavy lifting. I took a month off while i was getting into cycling and my lifts have taken a tumble (although injuries earlier this year didn't help). I'm currently working on getting my squat bench and deadlift back to a reasonable standard. They've been going up steadily since i got back to lifting so i'm happy so far, in fact my legs feel a lot more supple, and less prone to aches recently so the cycling must be helping.

This means the weight loss is something i care less about. I need to keep the calories up for my training, but i'm hoping the cycling along with fine tuning my diet, i can shed some of the excess tub while improving my lifts. It seems to be working, as i've had plenty of comments from people i've not seen in a while (always nice) :ohmy:

Whereabouts do you normally cycle SD?

Top Bottom