Wrapping bar tape

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
If I start and make a cock up of it, can I unwind it and start again, or is it stuffed?
Only reason I ask is that the bar tape I have bought is a bit pricey, and I'm currently leaning towards paying my LBS to fit it.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
You should be able to unwrap easy enough Ben.
Just take your time and try not to stretch/pull it too much.

Funnily enough I wrapped my commuter bike bars at the weekend, took me 3 goes to get one of the bars right.

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
It's not a bad job to do if you take your time. Make sure the bars are prepared and the hood pieces are in place. And leave about a half inch overhang at the bar ends to be tucked in with the stopper things. I usually work from inside out. And keep the hood rubbers pulled back until your finished. Then some insulation tape at the stem end to secure the tape. Also, gel pads at the beginning if you've got them.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Yes, you can try and try again so by the time you are finished you will be an expert! By the way I did one recently and used tape from Decathlon for £6 and it was the best I have used, very comfortable too.

Cycleops

Legendary Member

View: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=w8PqH7bltJQ#
Here is video which will help.

OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Thanks all - I'll let you know how I get on.

I've got a new set of mechs, cables and shifters to fit at the same time, so I might wait until the spring to let the existing ones take the brunt of the winter weather.

The youtube video that @Cycleops shows is the one I used and it is excellent. I got it right first time on one side but took two goes on the other. One tip is to leave enough overhanging the bars at the end where the caps are so that you can tuck inside. Good luck.

Top Bottom