Wrigley Velo CC go racing (CX)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
That's exactly the problem.... Local council parkland..... Don't want to upset them!
its another discussion all by itself.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Just a couple more notes from the race now I have had chance to calm down.

The weather was really, really cruel! Before we even started my fingers were so cold I could barely pin my race numbers to my jersey :cold:

The start was delayed around 10 minutes, probably due to the weather and over running this had caused during the previous races. Unfortunately this meant we were standing around near the start line for about 15 minutes because we had to be there for the official start time. There was lots of hopping, running on the spot and arm flapping going on as riders tried to keep some blood moving to the extremities.

I was surprised at how quickly the grid set off. I made sure I was close to the back of the pack at the start. It was my first race and I didn't want to be guilty of getting in anyone's way and being a complete novice twit. I expected to have a couple of easy pickings in the first few hundred yards, but I had to push much harder than expected just to avoid being dropped off the back!

There were only 3 laps (I think the winner did 4?) and by half way around the 2nd lap I had made up a good number of places. Not that I was feeling particularly fit or awesome, much the opposite actually. I was beginning to feel a bit weak and was wishing I had had a light snack sometime between breakfast and the 1.30pm start because I felt like I was about to hit empty. About half a lap later I was thanking the Lord that I hadn't eaten anything since breakfast because I was feeling decidedly nauseous and suspect that anything I had eaten during the morning might have been making a surprise reappearance xx(

My MTB skills were a definite bonus and won me several places at least. On the few downhill sections a lot of the riders were on the brakes putting their feet down for stability while I could just plough straight down, clipped in, on the drops, without touching the brakes. Again, on a long flat section under trees where the tree roots were exposed this put the fear of God into many riders and they were dabbing feet and slowing down to avoid a tumble. When I actually had a clear run at this section it was a breeze just to float along the top of the roots with the odd little bunnyhop to clear the most knotted sections.

My bike was BRILLIANT! Gears worked flawlessly when my cold gloved fingers could hit the right lever! The bikes handling is made for this, I don't think I saw anyone riding on the drops. I was on mine most of the time, even on the 'technical' bits and the confident handling was inspiring. It is definitely a bike as at home on the rough stuff as on the road.

Twice during the race I heard marshals/spectators commenting on my 'retro' shirt. This raised a much needed smile during an otherwise gruelling ride. I don't have many cycling tops and seeing as I was on a GT it seemed only fitting I should wear my original vintage GT owners club shirt from when I bought my first GT
upload_2018-1-22_9-28-26.png

I was over the moon when I crossed the line and was told I had finished! Not being overly familiar with the race rules, I assumed I still had a lap to go and to be truthful, I wasn't looking forward to it :sweat:

It was only once back home and my head was clearing while I was enjoying a nice hot shower that I remembered my £10 timing chip deposit! DOH, I had thrown my numbers and chip in the bucket at the finishing line with the rest of the riders. As a guest rider I had had to pay a deposit while the regulars didn't? I'm sure I wasn't the only one to do this......

I still think it was a great day :okay:

dan_bo

Just a couple more notes from the race now I have had chance to calm down.

The weather was really, really cruel! Before we even started my fingers were so cold I could barely pin my race numbers to my jersey :cold:

It was only once back home and my head was clearing while I was enjoying a nice hot shower that I remembered my £10 timing chip deposit! DOH, I had thrown my numbers and chip in the bucket at the finishing line with the rest of the riders. As a guest rider I had had to pay a deposit while the regulars didn't? I'm sure I wasn't the only one to do this......

Drop em a line Skol I'd be surprised if they didn't sort you out with your deposit back.

dan_bo

I was surprised at how quickly the grid set off. I made sure I was close to the back of the pack at the start. It was my first race and I didn't want to be guilty of getting in anyone's way and being a complete novice twit. I expected to have a couple of easy pickings in the first few hundred yards, but I had to push much harder than expected just to avoid being dropped off the back!

Bollocks to em. Let em come round ya.

dan_bo

Already done :okay:

You forgot to put your club down mate.

Top Bottom