Wrist pain from bike set up?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sabian92

Über Member
Morning,

I've recently started getting quite a bad pain in my left wrist and hand - could this be caused by the way my bike is set up?

I do have to have my arms fully stretched out so all my weight is on my wrists which probably doesn't help.

Would a shorter stem help take weight off my wrists?

Thank you.

D

Deleted member 20519

Have you tried lowering your saddle a bit? If it's too high, you'll be pushing down on the handlebars to support yourself. Lower your seat or raise your handlebars.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Morning,

I've recently started getting quite a bad pain in my left wrist and hand - could this be caused by the way my bike is set up?

I do have to have my arms fully stretched out so all my weight is on my wrists which probably doesn't help.

Would a shorter stem help take weight off my wrists?

Thank you.

A sorter stem and/or raising the bars will help to reduce/eliminate the pain. It does take much to make a difference. Im my case, raising the bars by 1cm and sortening the stem by a couple of centimetres did the trick.

Lowering the seat might help but that could compromise the efficiency of your pedalling.

OP
OP
S

sabian92

Über Member
A sorter stem and/or raising the bars will help to reduce/eliminate the pain. It does take much to make a difference. Im my case, raising the bars by 1cm and sortening the stem by a couple of centimetres did the trick.

Lowering the seat might help but that could compromise the efficiency of your pedalling.

Indeed - i'm not brilliant at that sort of thing as I get easily frustrated :laugh: I will have to have another look at it. It is sort of OK as it is but the saddle does eventually cause me a bit of discomfort (probably due to it being a crap saddle) and could do with a move about. How would I go about changing the stem? Is it a difficult job?

What sort of bars and where do you hold them?

Drop bars and I hold them 98% of the time on the hoods and 2% on the drops. Can't reach the brakes on the drops so I don't use them unless I know I won't have to brake.

That's scary. There's something drastically wrong there - is your bike the correct size for your height?

It might not be so drastic. I had a similar problem with my bike, the positioning of modern hoods and a bit less flexibility combined with small hands and deep drops can make it awkward. It's a separate issue but changing the drops and or adding some lever shims would solve this issue if the rest of the bike fit is OK.

raindog

er.....
It might not be so drastic. I had a similar problem with my bike, the positioning of modern hoods and a bit less flexibility combined with small hands and deep drops can make it awkward. It's a separate issue but changing the drops and or adding some lever shims would solve this issue if the rest of the bike fit is OK.
The 'compact' drops that the pros have been using for a few seasons are fantastic. Got some on my main bike, and they're the most comfortable bars I've ever had.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
i used to get this, the issue was that the bars were to wide, check the hood respective to your shoulders so you can see how wide the bars are compared to you, if you have to widen your reach substantially you will put your weight on your wrists, narrower bars solved this issue for me.
I also could not reach the brakes easily when on the drops, now I can without issue.

coldash

Veteran
+1. I've had this on my two most recent bikes. The first one came with cheapo ITM ergo handlebars and I found it impossible to get the (Campag) hoods at a comfortable angle and still be able to reach the brake leavers when in the drops. I changed to Deda Newton shallow drop bars which were a lot better but the positioning of the levers was critical. The latest, also Campag equipped, bike came with cheapo Ritchey ergo (but not as extreme at the ITM) bars and they have been perfect. BTW, I was measured as needing 42cm bars but the Ritcheys are 40cm and feel better. IME, it is all a bit hit and miss until you get the right bars.

The 'compact' drops that the pros have been using for a few seasons are fantastic. Got some on my main bike, and they're the most comfortable bars I've ever had.

That what I've ended up with, courtesy of Jayonabike and it was a profound difference. I admit to furtively testing all the drops in bikeshops to find the right shape!

screenman

Legendary Member
Loosen the bars and turn them up a bit, so that the end point slightly downwards, this brings the hoods closer to you, I bet you are reaching right over the bars to reach the hoods, which put untold strain on your wrists and hands.

I agree with the comment on compact bars, or ladies bars as we once called them before we found they worked well.

OP
OP
S

sabian92

Über Member
That's scary. There's something drastically wrong there - is your bike the correct size for your height?
Indeed it is - Nothing up with the frame. It fits everywhere else.

I don't think they're too wide - I've got pretty broad shoulders (44 inch chest so it's around the same shoulder width-ish).

Loosen the bars and turn them up a bit, so that the end point slightly downwards, this brings the hoods closer to you, I bet you are reaching right over the bars to reach the hoods, which put untold strain on your wrists and hands.

I agree with the comment on compact bars, or ladies bars as we once called them before we found they worked well.

I don't like using the drops - not confident using them and the shifters aren't those nice campag ones where they're behind the brakes, you flick towards the centre for down and push with your thumb on another lever for up when you're on the hoods, but I don't feel like i'm over reaching. Maybe that's the problem, because i'm ALWAYS using them.

I shall have to see - i'm making a docs appointment as well just to make sure it isn't anything serious too.

screenman

Legendary Member
OK you know better as they are your hands, but more often than not it is the problem I described. It is only after all 2 minutes maximum to try it out, chances are you Doctor will know more about chocolate tea pots than cyclist problems.

By doing as I describe will have the same effect as fitting a shorter stem for one thing.

When you buy a bike from the shop they sell them looking good, hoods slightly up makes them look less pretty, but for functional.

What sort of bike is it? Low end, top end.

i know it may seem a silly question ...how do you fit the lever shims ???

Top Bottom