Wrong lane? I don't think so

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
There i was today approaching a small roundabout when i tool in a car drove alongside me on my right and gave me some lip. "Where the f.. are you going you @!!"?,said he. I try and avoid getting into confrontations with such idiots these days, so i just said "straight on", He watched me go round the roundabout,turning off at the 12 o clock exit,then caught me up again to give me some more abuse.Anyway,the thing is,i was in the right hand lane,of 2 lanes. The left hand lane had an arrow pointing left. The right hand lane had an arrow pointing ahead and right. He must've expected me to go in the left lane thinking that cyclists should keep next to the kerb,but if i'd done that i would've then had to move to the right lane at the last second.Surely i was correct in using the right hand lane?

Tangoup51

If the left-hand lane was for left turns only and you wanted to go ahead then being in the Left hand lane is the Wrong place to be.
You were in the correct position following the right lane which was marked appropriately for what exit you wanted.

Some drivers spend so much time angry at cyclists that they don't even bother to check if they're following the right rules anymore.
They just make the general assumption that wherever you are is not where your supposed to be.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Some drivers spend so much time angry at cyclists that they don't even bother to check if they're following the right rules anymore.
They just make the general assumption that wherever you are is not where your supposed to be.
Indeed ... I was riding on a road down the side of Windermere last week when a driver coming the other way slowed down and stuck his head out of the window. I thought he was going to ask for directions but actually he needed to scream "GET OFF THE F***ING ROAD!!!" at me. There was no cycle lane, no footpath and the road was wide enough for us to pass each other with loads of room to spare. Apparently, the sight of a cyclist using 'his' road was more than he could bear ... :wacko:

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
If the left-hand lane was for left turns only and you wanted to go ahead then being in the Left hand lane is the Wrong place to be.
You were in the correct position following the right lane which was marked appropriately for what exit you wanted.

Yes, i think he was just looking to have a go at a cyclist,then he spotted me. Years ago they couldn't gob off so easily,but now that most cars have driver controlled electric windows,they just press a button and the abuse begins. He was peeved that i was in the right lane,but i was as far left as possible in that lane,giving him ample space to overtake me. I know they say we should let it go but these things play on my mind.

classic33

Leg End Member
Yes, i think he was just looking to have a go at a cyclist,then he spotted me. Years ago they couldn't gob off so easily,but now that most cars have driver controlled electric windows,they just press a button and the abuse begins. He was peeved that i was in the right lane,but i was as far left as possible in that lane,giving him ample space to overtake me. I know they say we should let it go but these things play on my mind.
Center of the lane, don't overtake on a roundabout.

Tangoup51

Indeed ... I was riding on a road down the side of Windermere last week when a driver coming the other way slowed down and stuck his head out of the window. I thought he was going to ask for directions but actually he needed to scream "GET OFF THE F***ING ROAD!!!" at me. There was no cycle lane, no footpath and the road was wide enough for us to pass each other with loads of room to spare. Apparently, the sight of a cyclist using 'his' road was more than he could bear ... :wacko:

I feel alot of discomfort on those roads that leave no option but to pedal or get stuck on an overgrown grass verge. Not in the country side as much as the buiser roads, still it's a pain in the a** that people can't sympathize we would generally rather not be there either.

I agree. Those are the sort of people who'd say those things and then feel their hearts drop when they see traffic lights on red ahead.

i will say, it's good practice to just take the lane on a roundabout. It's awkward enough for us cyclists being so small you could position yourself anywhere in a lane making it more complex; to round it off, just be center and follow the lanes direction - Treat yourself like a Car on a roundabout. You shouldn't tolerate anyone coming into your lane/space that'd hit the invisible car you're in.

Don't let it linger. That guy is just an out-and-out assh*le.
Sort of chap to complain about why the binmen sort his neighbors bins out before his own.

Tangoup51

It does me me think about getting a head cam,but i'd only watch it over and over again and get myself worked up about it. The police wouldn't be interested in such an altercation so why bother.

Actually, Head cams are a good idea. I bought one to capture the "cool" parts of my rides but its always reassuring knowing it's on for when someone hits me, which, some day they will.

When I had my first proper altercation caught on camera which you can actually find on Exposed UK Dashcams on youtube- I was always awkwardly shying away from the footage - I use to think i'd watch it over and over, but nope!

Also, when I binned my bike It was nice having the footage to see what exactly caused the damage. I put a tiny "dent" (more like a glorified nick really) in my frame and my camera confirmed it was from a slight scrape on a lamppost :laugh:

The helmet camera is alot of fun though. I Find myself always wondering "What will that look like on the computer?" and every time I finish my ride the first thing I do is check my helmet camera for anything funny or impressive to save.

If you do buy one, it's worth saying that cheaper really is okay. Mine cost £30.00 and The Quality is Fair as hell. Don't put them on your handlebars though, atleast for the cheaper-end cameras, the vibration is constant no matter what and blurs the quality. Helmet is the way to go. !

snorri

Legendary Member
Yes, i think he was just looking to have a go at a cyclist,then he spotted me. ............................... I know they say we should let it go but these things play on my mind.
Less said the better Accy, there is always a danger of becoming distracted and having an accident if you engage in exchange of abuse with idiots.
Less said soonest mended.

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
Some drivers are just totally f*ckwits.

I was cycling through a village today on one of those roads where there are frequent traffic lights so everyone generally trundles along together.

I was vaguely aware that there was a driver working himself into an absolute rage behind both at me for "blocking" his way and all the drivers around for not overtaking me (BMW, by coincidence).

Eventually at a set of traffic lights he got out of his car and started mouthing away at me and the car behind me. As usual in such circumstances I get off my bike and draw myself up to my 2m, 100kg self and told him to get back in his car because he was embarrassing himself.

With a few filthy words he consented. In my wilder days I would have gone back and smashed his wingmirrors off as a reminded but I need to act my age now.

Slick

Guru
I have to use the right lane on a couple of tricky roundabouts on my commute. First one is a dual carriageway, but fortunately it's early morning and usually causes me little trouble. The second should be simpler, as the left hand lane is a filter lane turning left and the right lane is turning right, but the constant stream of half sleeping fuds who are actually making eye contact with me pull out in front of me. I wish I could work out exactly where they think I'm going or where I should be.

Top Bottom