Wrong lane? I don't think so

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
As usual,i've been pondering over this. I think he said something like "well give us a clue where you're going you @!!". I looked at the prick and wondered if he'd say the same thing to someone if it wasn't a car versus bike situation? If he was in a supermarket and someone with a trolley was in front of him,would he say the same thing? They just like to have a go at cyclists because we're an easy target for them to get rid of their frustrations on. What gets me is if the idiots just let us get out of their way,sparing us a few seconds of their precious time to do so,then they could go on their merry way. I think/hope he says the same to someone one day, who'll give him a punch in the gob.

He was peeved that i was in the right lane,but i was as far left as possible in that lane,giving him ample space to overtake me.
First off - you were in the correct lane, and did nothing wrong.

But second ... the "as far left as possible in that lane" scares the **** out of me. I've seen it SO often.

It's a matter of judgement, fair enough. There's nothing "wrong" with it in law.

But you're wide open to the delicious experience of close-passing ****heads. TWO of them, one on your right, one on your left. Scares the bejasus out of me, when I see other lads and lasses trying it.

If I'm in the left hand lane, I'll happily "read the road" and vary my position.

If I'm in the centre/right hand lane ... I'm right bang in the middle of the space. No way would I ride near the white line.

Sixmile

Veteran
I looked at the prick and wondered if he'd say the same thing to someone if it wasn't a car versus bike situation?

This is the crux of the matter. From experience I haven't had verbal abuse when walking along the street, running along a road or driving but it seems as soon as someone is on a bike that they're fair game for verbals. I was shouted at twice during my Saturday ride, ok neither were necessarily aggressive but still, I dare say if I was doing anything other than cycling that it wouldn't have happened.

Dan B

Disengaged member
If you do buy one, it's worth saying that cheaper really is okay. Mine cost £30.00 and The Quality is Fair as hell. Don't put them on your handlebars though, atleast for the cheaper-end cameras, the vibration is constant no matter what and blurs the quality. Helmet is the way to go. !
I had a cheap camera on my handlebars for a couple of months until one of the battery terminals snapped off. Looking back, I think the vibration probably did for it.

I now have a slightly more expensive camera but as I don't wear a helmet I'm still thinking about where to put it. Another handlebar mount but with better vibration isolation, or maybe a chest strap. I could use a chest strap while skating, which would be good

Tangoup51

I had a cheap camera on my handlebars for a couple of months until one of the battery terminals snapped off. Looking back, I think the vibration probably did for it.

I now have a slightly more expensive camera but as I don't wear a helmet I'm still thinking about where to put it. Another handlebar mount but with better vibration isolation, or maybe a chest strap. I could use a chest strap while skating, which would be good

I tried all sorts of ways to isolate the vibration from my handlebars to the camera. Must of had mountains of various rubber and soft materials around the clamps but all to no avail. Not even bigger tires did the trick.

I'd say chest mounts are good. They're common with fixie/urban riders too, though for the professional weekend cyclist I don't know how comfortable it will feel. I think you should experiment with it anyways, seeing as you can use it for other purposes.

Handlebars are too fixed anyway. It's nice to have free-motion of the camera to put it at anything that might be causing you imminent danger.

Randy Butternubs

Über Member
I can understand the kind of narrow-mindedness and feelings of self-importance that can make people annoyed or dismissive of cyclists but I absolutely cannot fathom how anyone can have such *hate* for complete strangers who have done nothing to them. Anyone have any ideas cos I'm genuinely stumped?

classic33

Leg End Member
Self preservation! Someone else has ideas on where I should be. Usually on the same road as them.

It doesn't matter what form of transport the other person may be using, you're nowt but an inconvenience to them. You're slowing their trip down. Often getting there faster than them.

I was chased/followed by a ferrari, driven by someone who felt he had more right to the road than me. Because of the time of day, roadworks and the normal lights, we passed each other more than once. The last few times deliberate attempts made to get me out of his way or stop my progress.

What gives anyone the right to do that?

lutonloony

Über Member
If the worst that happens to me in a day is that somebody shouts/swears at me, I'll take that. No they shouldn't, but I'm not going to get worked up about it

Johnno260

Veteran
Doesn't matter on my road positioning I get abuse.

Even people in my office if they have seen a Strava post on my FaceBook feed give me abuse, I get the we should pay to use the road, so I point out I'm tax free like some other road users, then comes insurance, yes I have this also.

It normally degenerates to being told to cycle round a park, I pointed out it's not correct for me to use pavements! lol

Too much hate out there, this case atm with the guy on a track bike won't help.

Top Bottom