wrong to cycle on sidewalk?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mustang1

Legendary Member
A few days ago during the evening commute mad rush hour, I decided to cycle on the sidewalk. There were no pedestrians, my speed (corrected: sleep) was that of a fast jog, there was a fence on one side so. O pedestrians could come from that way.

Behind me several cyclists followed my venture.

Is that wrong?
Is it less dangerous than being on that crazy road?

Last edited:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
A few days ago during the evening commute mad rush hour, I decided to cycle on the sidewalk. There were no pedestrians, my sleep was that of a fast jog, there was a fence on one side so. O pedestrians could come from that way.

Is that wrong?

good grief ! You'll be jumping red lights and not payin' any effin' road-tax next !

BikeLiker

A few days ago during the evening commute mad rush hour, I decided to cycle on the sidewalk. There were no pedestrians, my sleep was that of a fast jog, there was a fence on one side so. O pedestrians could come from that way.

Is that wrong?

Don't know the law in the USA. In the UK there is Home Office guidance to Police Forces stating that cyclists should not be penalised for cycling on the footpath for reasons of safety.

OP
OP
mustang1

mustang1

Legendary Member
Don't know the law in the USA. In the UK there is Home Office guidance to Police Forces stating that cyclists should not be penalised for cycling on the footpath for reasons of safety.
Just because I used the term "sidewalk" doesn't mean I'm in USA. I just find the word "pavement" can mean too many different things. A sidewalk is a place where I walk on....the side of the road. :smile:

But back on topic, I think the police could charge a pavement cyclist for something or other, that's why law can be interpreted and not set in stone.

OP
OP
mustang1

mustang1

Legendary Member
love the typo....
my sleep was that of a fast jog,

ive never tried jogging while im asleep, or sleeping while i jog.^_^
Haha corrected it thanks. Flaming tablets with their soft keyboards. My next computer will be a laptop with a proper keyboard.

classic33

Leg End Member
A few days ago during the evening commute mad rush hour, I decided to cycle on the sidewalk. There were no pedestrians, my speed (corrected: sleep) was that of a fast jog, there was a fence on one side so. O pedestrians could come from that way.

Is that wrong?
Don't go hunting deer do you?

byegad

Legendary Member
From your question I guess you are American, we call it the pavement and the road is a called road. I know Americans call a road the pavement, but we don't. It is illegal over here for a cyclist to use the pavement unless there is a sign indicating it is shared use. While many do ride on the pavement you can be stopped and fined, and in the event you hit a pedestrian you will be in the wrong, unless it's shared use, in which case you may have a defence, or may not.

Drago

Legendary Member
The correct term is footway. At a time when our image as a group is under attack from many quarters I would not countenance any law breaking while.riding a bicycle, no matter how safe the rider perceives it to be.

And the key word there is 'guidance', which carries zero weight in court.

Top Bottom