wrong to cycle on sidewalk?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
"Wrong" and "illegal" are not synonyms. Yes you would probably be committing an offence under the law, whether it is "wrong" depends on circumstances. Hence the police guidance referred to upthread.

Ganymede

Veteran
I was in Folkestone recently and realised I had to go a long way round the one-way system to get to where I wanted to go. So I wheeled my bike down Tontine Street. Bloke I was visiting said he had raised the matter of cycle access to his venue with the Council. They said - oh, everyone just cycles down the pavement don't they, so we won't bother.

:wacko:

I will only cycle onto the pavement if I feel in danger, then I dismount and push, unless it's a shared path. So these clowns are not going to provide for me because a load of other clowns regularly break the law so that's somehow what everyone expects. It's bolux.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Regardless of the law etc, in the majority of cases, I'd personally prefer if cyclists did not ride on the pavement.

Drago

Legendary Member
FFS its the pavement or footpath.

The correct term for bus is omnibus.

Footway is the correct term. The terminology very important - it's unlawful to.cycle on the footway(cycle lanes etc not withstanding) but there is no offence of cycling on a footpath (by laws notwithstanding).

It's not a case of being picky, rather a case of being succinct. A footpath is something physically and legally different to the matter under discussion, so to use the term serves only to make an already slightly confusing opening post even more irrelevant. To use your ill thought out example it is not akin to referring to an omnibus as a bus, more like calling an omnibus a car. Similar, yes, but with fundamentally differing physical attributes and legal status.

snorri

Legendary Member
Footways and roadways run side by side, vehicles travel on the roadway, pedestrians travel on the footway. When the pedestrian route is not alongside a road it is known as a footpath.
(Please feel free to correct me:smile:, as if you lot need to be invited:biggrin:)

Venod

Eh up
To use your ill thought out example

It wasn't an ill thought out example, it was to demonstrate that the correct words for something are not in use in everyday speech, I agree with footway being the correct terminology and the importance of it for legal purposes, I didn't mean to cause offence, I think sidewalk got my back up, I hate the intrusion of US words into our language.

It's wrong to ride on the 'sidewalk' / pavement. But it's not wrong to cycle on the cycle part of a shared usage path It's also wrong to walk in the road, and the cycle part of a shared path ( particularly with a dog). Can of worms well and truly opened right there.

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
Other folks riding on that bit of the world which lays at the side of a road, slightly raised up, usually with a curb and flooded with bipeds is just plain annoying to me, especially when I'm at a light or stuck behind slow moving traffic. That said, on the rare occasion(s) that I've done this myself, I feel immensely smug and I like feeling smug, so it it's smug you felt, then I'm nobody to tell you, you can't.

Folks telling folks they can't say words on account of them having stepped over an imaginary line which marks a particular territory though, well that just plain sucks. And I say that whilst eating a jelly-sub from the trunk of my automobile, waiting for an elevator which will never arrive. Words is just words and if you understand the words being spoken then the words themselves shouldn't matter at all.

AndyRM

XOXO
Folks telling folks they can't say words on account of them having stepped over an imaginary line which marks a particular territory though, well that just plain sucks. And I say that whilst eating a jelly-sub from the trunk of my automobile, waiting for an elevator which will never arrive. Words is just words and if you understand the words being spoken then the words themselves shouldn't matter at all.

Did your sub come wrapped in aluminum foil? Or was it saran wrap?

Top Bottom