Wrong way along A470

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
On my return leg from my Home to Brecon and back ride along the A470 about 2 miles from Libanus I saw a bike ahead of me in secondary position. I thought I'm gaining in it. Then I thought I'm gaining on it fast. A few seconds later I realise that the bike is being ridden by a young teen heading towards me. Yes the wrong way down the A470. I pointed at the other side of the road and shouted at him but he sailed on by. I had no phone reception so I could not alert the Police. I hope I do not read about a blonde kid on a MTB killed on that road.

Oxo

Guru
I hope I do not read about a blonde kid on a MTB killed on that road.

When you are a teenager you think you are immortal.

apollo179

Wasnt there anything else you could have done to save him ?
I know its difficult in these situations and im struggling to see anything that i would have done differently from you .

OP
OP
A

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Wasnt there anything else you could have done to save him ?
I know its difficult in these situations and im struggling to see anything that i would have done differently from you .

I could have blocked his path. However he might have taken it as a confrontation and taken more dangerous evasive action. I am playing it over in my head and all scenarios in which I stop him look bad. Other drivers stopping assuming I have attacked the kid, the kid claiming he was riding the right way and calling the police ad nauseum.

apollo179

I could have blocked his path. However he might have taken it as a confrontation and taken more dangerous evasive action. I am playing it over in my head and all scenarios in which I stop him look bad. Other drivers stopping assuming I have attacked the kid, the kid claiming he was riding the right way and calling the police ad nauseum.
Yes i can imagine the headline - "Police praised for shooting dead mad welsh cyclist after frenzied attack on innocent teen"

OP
OP
A

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian

It is a Beautiful road. This is the section I am talking about I would love to know when this pictures were taken as I have never seen the road so quite!!!!

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Was he going slow or fast?

I only ask as I think if you are going slowly it's arguably safer to ride against the traffic, in the same way that the advice to walkers when walking in the road is to walk against the flow of traffic/on the wrong side

It's very common out here for the old uncles and aunties that wobble along at 2mph to ride the wrong way up the road, the thinking being, as with the advice to walkers in the UK, that one can see what's heading at you and take evasive action...

I certainly wouldn't waste the police's time with such a matter

OP
OP
A

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Was he going slow or fast?

I only ask as I think if you are going slowly it's arguably safer to ride against the traffic, in the same way that the advice to walkers when walking in the road is to walk against the flow of traffic/on the wrong side

It's very common out here for the old uncles and aunties that wobble along at 2mph to ride the wrong way up the road, the thinking being, as with the advice to walkers in the UK, that one can see what's heading at you and take evasive action...

I certainly wouldn't waste the police's time with such a matter

Are you seriously telling me you think it is safer to cycle "in secondary position" into oncoming traffic? Speed is irrelevant but I would say about 20 mph as the section of road is down hill. Walkers are told to do this I agree but one where in any safty guides have I ever seen it suggested that one should cycle that way.

As for wasting the polices time I wonder if you would change your tune if you got a knock on the door telling you your Son had been killed doing such a thing. Wouldn't you wonder why no driver called to advice the police about his?

asterix

Comrade Member
It most certainly is not safer for a cyclist to go against the traffic!

In France I was trundling along a road and encountered a wrong way cyclist. The amount of time you get to react is massively reduced and had I been doing anywhere near 100 km/h (the limit for that road) I'd have had no time at all to give him space. There's a big difference between a walker and a cyclist.

OP
OP
A

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
It most certainly is not safer for a cyclist to go against the traffic!

In France I was trundling along a road and encountered a wrong way cyclist. The amount of time you get to react is massively reduced and had I been doing anyway near 100 km/h (the limit for that road) I'd have had no time at all to give him space. There's a big difference between a walker and a cyclist.

:thumbsup:

Top Bottom