WTF has happened here?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grellboy

Über Member
Riding along, bit of clonking, then entire right crank and chainset fell off! Bike is only 5 months old. Know shamefully little about bike mechanics, so if anyone can shed any light on the specific cause/issue then that would greatly appreciated. Bottom bracket is bb30, if that helps!? 20171214_182458.jpg
20171214_182440.jpg

Attachments

• 20171214_182449.jpg
    20171214_182449.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 54
As far as I can see, That’s an FSA Chainset with a self extractor set up. The only reason for what you have got there, is because the chainring side of the set has sheared. I’ve had issues with this type of Chainset before. It’s not a big deal to sort out. Tap the bit that is protruding out of the frame with a mallet, then I would invest in one of these.

EE9A7A05-B457-4EB0-907F-4725A5203637.jpeg

Which replaces the PF / BB30 Press fit BB you have there, with a threaded Hollowtech II compatible BB. It’s a great bit of kit, I’ve got them on all my previously pressfit fitted bikes.

You’ll need a Hollowtech II Chainset as well, but that’s a good thing.

vickster

Legendary Member
Familiarise yourself with the bike manufacturers warranty conditions and then take it up with the retailer where you bought the bike for replacement if covered by warranty (I can’t imagine that is wear and tear unless you’ve done 5000 miles in 5 months)

Clean the bike thoroughly first ;)

OP
OP
grellboy

grellboy

Über Member
Bought bike on t'internet so not local unfortunately but does say that my particular bike comes with a full warranty. Any idea what level of hassle/cost involved in getting that kind of thing sorted with somewhere not local?

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Bought bike on t'internet so not local unfortunately but does say that my particular bike comes with a full warranty. Any idea what level of hassle/cost involved in getting that kind of thing sorted with somewhere not local?
They might want the bike back, but if you send them some detailed photographs you never know your luck, they may sent the replacement part.

+ to everything already said.

As @vickster says, clean it up a bit first, then send them an email or chat or call. Photos at first contact or when they ask. See what they say, be careful to admit nothing.

If you like what they say, then yay! If not, then come back here and the barrack room lawyers will help you out :smile:

(glad that didn't happen while you were powering up a 20% slope)

OP
OP
grellboy

grellboy

Über Member
Been in touch with the retailer (Just a lbs, but not local to me!) and they told me they would get it sorted, which is great. However, it's 200 miles away and with Christmas holidays etc just wondering how long before I'll get it back. Quite happy to have a go at fitting the bits myself if they were to send them to me, but just to clarify, with reference to the pictures, is it just the right crank/chainset i need? Is the bottom bracket ok or does that need replacing too?

vickster

Legendary Member
Been in touch with the retailer (Just a lbs, but not local to me!) and they told me they would get it sorted, which is great. However, it's 200 miles away and with Christmas holidays etc just wondering how long before I'll get it back. Quite happy to have a go at fitting the bits myself if they were to send them to me, but just to clarify, with reference to the pictures, is it just the right crank/chainset i need? Is the bottom bracket ok or does that need replacing too?
Why not get it assessed by your own LBS if you're not confident, get the parts shipped and then get them fitted

I doubt you'll get anything now before the new year though

KneesUp

Guru
If the seller is paying transport costs you might want to suggest to them that it'd be easier and cheaper for them and for you for them to pay your actual LBS to repair it - if you can get a quote off one to put to them that may give them more confidence - or just get a quote off the LBS and ask them if they will send you a cheque to cover it?

Vertego

Just reflecting on the meaning of life.
Only downside in that approach as far as I can see, is that by 'interfering with it' yourself, you can probably say goodbye to any future warranty repairs (although hopefully there won't be any more issues).

Top Bottom