Wussed out this morning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
J

J4CKO

Tynan said:
never yet wussed on a commute, once you start passing because of weather you'll be wussing on all sorts of excuses

remember a journey once through snow (in London!!) where I had to stop every mile or so to clear frozen snow from under the mudguards and brakes

Yes, but I never claimed not to be a wuss, I paid a fair few quid for my car and a fair amount to tax and insure it, might get rid entirely at some point after having done a full year but in the meantime it does need to run occasionally, the big clunk as the brakes unstuck themselves was evidence of that. Its a bit of a none event after riding in though.

Plax

Guru
I wussed out again today. Woke up at 7am with the intention of cycling in. However the rain was hammering on the windows and it was blowing a gale outside so I took the opportunity for an extra 30 mins in bed.
It was hailstoning this morning too. However this afternoon the wind has appeared to have died down, the rain and hail has stopped and it looks fairly sunny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sod's law that. Hopefully the wind will pick up again and it will start lashing it down round home time so I don't feel as guilty!

It was wet n windy last night. Worst bit was my glasses getting covered and steaming up. Oh, and the delivery driver who stopped at the end of the bypass, jumped over the barrier onto the bridleway that runs alongside and ran straight at me waving a bit of a paper, shouting "excuse me, do you know the way to ..".

I was a bit p'd off due to having to swerve to avoid him and so was less than inclined to stop in the torrential rain and give him directions. So I just swerved round him, calling out, "sorry, I'm a tourist". :biggrin:

Bit more: but it looks lovely outside at the moment and I think the wind will be behind me on the way home tonight. Whoo hoo!!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
J4CKO - my car is getting like that - the brakes need a good stamp on first use to get rid of surface rust that's built up during the week it's not been used.

I still rode in today - heared the rain, I have a bad cold...but the thought of the bus (no where to park my car at work)....... bike. Felt well rough for most of the ride, but certainly felt better upon arriving....

Had it been dry, I'd have ridden to a meeting at another site, then back to base, but as it was wet, I went into the office and dumped my kit to dry, before catching the bus......

OP
OP
J

J4CKO

My problem is that I have a fairly nice car and an expansive car park at work with tonnes of spaces !

Went on the bike today though, I am off Monday Tuesday next week so added motivation to get on the bike this week.

kikzen

i sacked it in today - my commute last night was traumatising:
not only was it raining, but i forgot any form of waterproof clothing.
i was soaked within the first 2 minutes of riding.
visibility was ridiculous because of my glasses meaning i had to go REALLY slow.
visibility got worse about 2 miles away from home when one of the bloody lenses fell out.
i never have felt so moist.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
J4CKO - give it a few months...you really won't want to drive...... nice car here too, sat nav, fab sound system, climate control etc.... nope bike....... I can park near work, but it will be on a side road - I could blag a space at work, but I won't.......... You might feel like poo, but at least you feel 'better' getting there.....

You'll get the bug big time...... then the family think you've lost it......

theboytaylor

@ kikzen: do you use contact lenses at all? I wear specs most of the time but use daily disposable lenses for football and long runs and I always keep a couple of pairs at work. Certainly came in handy last night!

That was a real stinker last night. My shoes were still squelching this morning!

kikzen

@theboytaylor
yeah i use contacts for runs and stuff but i didnt have any with me - and not even a damn waterproof jacket ;(

OP
OP
J

J4CKO

I use dailies, they are great if a bit pricey, but you can keep the cost down with buying them off the net, however occasionally on a slight downhil to a mini roundabout near where I live I have lost a lens when looking left then right , usually because I am being pressured from behind and the lenses havent had chance to seat, keep a few spares so not an issue but a pain nonetheless.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I wanted to wimp out this morning, but I made myself cycle miniMikey to school. A 12 mile round trip, it was lovely out, but cold and crisp. I even got some great driving from a DHL driver (shock!), so emailed the company to compliment him.

OP
OP
J

J4CKO

Thats it, wussing is more likely when the alternative is more agreeable, boarding something slower, more expensive is actually the more unpleasant of the two, so in reality cycling is wussing out for you Hackbike !

Lovely ride in today, comfy, fast, nice crisp weather at 3c followed by a nice long hot shower, ok it was in a freezing metal portacabin but staying in longer means its warmer for getting dressed.

Top Bottom