Wycombe, Bucks ride 5th June

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Norm

Doesn't mean my training is going well. At the weekend in the wind on the south coast I was struggling to get above 10mph :wacko:

Ouch! Although it was ruddy windy in Berkshire at the weekend, I can imagine it being that much harder around Brighton.

OP
OP
lilolee

lilolee

Veteran
I'm meeting a couple of people at Maidenhead Station at 9:00 if any one is going that way.

Rebel Ian

Ouch! Although it was ruddy windy in Berkshire at the weekend, I can imagine it being that much harder around Brighton.

The wind on the coast was brutal. We cycled from Eastbourne up Beachey Head and I was riding at a 15% angle leaning into the wind just to stay upright. On the downhills towards Brighton I was riding with one foot unclipped as you never knew at what second a huge gust was going to try and take you off.

Problem from there is if you head inland to get away from it you immediately climb! I've done easier 70 mile rides than the first 20 miles we did on Saturday. Then Sunday, as I said, cycling on the flat on a smooth road back into Eastbourne there were times when 9mph was hard work as the wind was straight off the sea into our face.

We might have only done 110 miles over the weekend but it was HARD!

Rebel Ian

So for tomorrow it looks like....

Rebel Ian
lilolee
Flasher
Norm
Klaus (possibly?)

See you at Wyevale at 9:30
smile.gif

Norm

Sorry, Ian, I'm not going to be able to make it. The pay-off for me getting out today is that I have to play Daddy tomorrow whilst Mrs Norm spends her day in Windsor Great Park doing carriage driving.

Rebel Ian

Sorry, Ian, I'm not going to be able to make it. The pay-off for me getting out today is that I have to play Daddy tomorrow whilst Mrs Norm spends her day in Windsor Great Park doing carriage driving.

No problem. I understand! I have to miss your ride today in lieu of going out tomorrow plus I was away all last weekend cycling.

Going to be a good day though. My 14 year old has been asked to play cricket for the adult second XI today so I'm going to watch
smile.gif

Rebel Ian

"Going to watch" generally means lying somewhere in the sun with beer. Enjoy. :biggrin:

Spot on apart from the beer. I'm in LEJoG training so my body is a temple!! As part of my prep I've managed to shed 15lbs mostly by cutting out red wine and curry! No beer now until we're actually on the ride
biggrin.gif

Sorry, edit to add have a good ride today
thumbsup.png

Rebel Ian

Well what a splendid ride!

Lee did an excellent job mapping out a course that was challenging but very enjoyable, including one little stretch of hill that defeated me :blush: . We even found a little independent coffee shop in Tylers Green to have a break.

I think in total I'd done about 45 miles by the time I got home. What better way to spend a Sunday morning than cycling, drinking coffee, eating cake and discussing lesbian tennis fans?!! :smile: . I think this has set the tone for future Bucks rides!

Lee and I talked about postponing the July ride as he and his brother/bro-in-law are away watching the Tour and that Sunday I'll be in the South-West starting LEJoG. Everyone is welcome to do the first Sunday in August though and I'd thoroughly recommend it. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
lilolee

lilolee

Veteran
Cool.

I mentioned Turville so next one will go there. Probably over the top to Watlington for a cuppa and then loop down via Nettlebed, Sonning, Twyford and home.

Don't worry Ian I get a route that goes out your way towards the Chalfonts.

Rebel Ian

Cool.

I mentioned Turville so next one will go there. Probably over the top to Watlington for a cuppa and then loop down via Nettlebed, Sonning, Twyford and home.

Don't worry Ian I get a route that goes out your way towards the Chalfonts.

There's a stonking great hill at Nettlebed I recall. I rode it both ways to and from Oxford. Good roads round there.

Top Bottom