X Force Machines

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bill Gates

Came across these machines recently whilst researching weight lifting techniques and exercises. They use the theory that lowering weights adapt the muscles more than when lifting them. The machines change the weight to a higher amount as the user lowers them. The same sort of effect can be had by very slow lifting and lowering to total fatigue. I no longer count reps but do just a few exercise a week to fatigue and feel stronger and less fatigued from this method than before Also much less time doing multiple sets. You need 7 days for the muscles to recover. So less time better results. This is known as negative lifting slowly lowering the weight takes discipline and isn't easy.

Last edited:

johnblack

Über Member
Came across these machines recently whilst researching weight lifting techniques and exercises. They use the theory that lowering weights adapt the muscles more than when lifting them. The machines change the weight to a higher amount as the user lowers them. The same sort of effect can be had by very slow lifting and lowering to total fatigue. I no longer count reps but do just a few exercise a week to fatigue and feel stronger and less fatigued from this method than before Also much less time doing multiple sets. You need 7 days for the muscles to recover. So less time better results. This is known as negative lifting slowly lowering the weight takes discipline and isn't easy.
Never heard of them but it makes sense to me , it's the reverse of adding chains to the bars that increase the weight as you lift. There's definitely a good reason to lift to exhaustion rather than a cursory number of reps.

OP
OP
Bill Gates

Bill Gates

I used to do sprint interval training back in the day and only stopped when I could no longer attempt another sprint. Takes a lot of will power to do that. Most cyclists are too up their own backsides with FTP and LT training which they've gleaned from training indoors with their eyes glued to to some number on a screen to even try it I think coaches of today have taken the easy way out by following the power meter big brother approach. All my training was full on but I had no idea of any numbers it was all RPE.

My point is that HIIT to fatigue is the same as adaptation to strength training to fatigue. Faster. Easier. Better.

OP
OP
Bill Gates

Bill Gates

I used to do sprint interval training back in the day and only stopped when I could no longer attempt another sprint. Takes a lot of will power to do that. Most cyclists are too up their own backsides with FTP and LT training which they've gleaned from training indoors with their eyes glued to to some number on a screen to even try it I think coaches of today have taken the easy way out by following the power meter big brother approach. All my training was full on but I had no idea of any numbers it was all RPE.

My point is that HIIT to fatigue is the same as adaptation to strength training to fatigue. Faster. Easier. Better.
https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/...ggest-advantage-didnt-ride-power-meter-438541

You see what you might be capable of if you take the power meter blinkers off

OP
OP
Bill Gates

Bill Gates

I've been doing negative lifting for a couple of months now and the results have been OK. On the other hand I reverted to counting reps on one particular exercise this morning and I showed little if any improvement from the last time I counted reps with that weight. So on that basis I am going to alternate negative lifting one week with counting reps the next week from now on. The negative lifting is mentally tough to do after a while so now I'm going to follow my own advice and make it fun again. Well if not fun then more bearable .^_^

Top Bottom