X35 ebikemotion range extender

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sasquath

You will loose up to 5% on charging process alone, there are regulator losses of at least 10%.
To use direct connection you would need motor driver with 2 separate inputs. Or both batteries would have to be at exact same state of charge at the moment of connection. Connecting full and empty, or even half full batteries in parallel could end in 🔥. Battery damage at best.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
After trying in vain to order a Volabike extender for my Gain I have now purchased a Mahle (EBM) X35 extender. Ugly and heavy but it works well!
A question for others using these:
Do you try to look after them in the same way as the main battery - eg try to store charged between 30% and 80%?
(I try to leave my Gain's battery at 70% - 80% if not riding it for a few days, and only charge to full if I know the ride may need it)

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
To answer an earlier question, they're not tied by software to a particular bike in a multi-Mahle household, but you do need to switch the :okay:'bottle cage' across too.
That's good. and I thought you would have to swap the holder, the extender is a pretty hefty piece of kit. I couldn't find anywhere online that sells the 'bottle cage' separately. Not that I need another cage at the moment but I was considering buying a Ribble SLe - given Ribble's estimated delivery dates (September 2022 if ordered now) I'm not in a hurry! I think I'll stick with the Gain for now.

Top Bottom