Xbox One

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I think ps4 will prove to be the best. Have you noticed that the new COD ghost has dropped by £10.00. ? Probably because the supermarkets have dropped the price.. good news.

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
I think ps4 will prove to be the best. Have you noticed that the new COD ghost has dropped by £10.00. ? Probably because the supermarkets have dropped the price.. good news.

Nice one

welsh dragon

[qtote"david k, post: 2797169, member: 15234"]Nice one[/quote]
I tnink battlefield has dropped in price as well. Have a look on amazon

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
I managed to get an Xbox One from Microsoft store, they came into stock on Friday for a short while. Then typically another console I preordered from Dabs earlier in the week came into stock...needless to say I have two arriving on Monday lol

welsh dragon

How is the xboxone. ? Is it good. Has anyone bought the ps4. ? I would be interested to find out how good they are.

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
Well I like it! The voice commands are a nice feature. I was struggling to find out where to redeem codes...I just had to say 'enter code' and then wave the barcode in front of the Konnect camera...done in seconds!

My wife likes the 'Xbox Off' command....

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Has anyone bought the ps4. ? I would be interested to find out how good they are.

My comments on the other thread on the other forum were having played the PS4 on a friend's machine for a few hours. Not simply made up or at a games fair or demo. From last Friday:-

Just been on the PS4. Very major problem logging into playstation network. Taking some people 1-3 hours to get in.

A few glitches like purchased games refusing to work, which is a very, very major flaw. This has to be overiden with a restore licences option.

The menus are very fast. The camera login/calibration is fun,not much you can do with it right now.

Killzone is a very major upgrade on current gen. The vast majority of textures are very high. There is the odd low res texture and fault in physics,but mostly good. The sound is excellent too. If you want a feel for what they can do now have a read of this:-

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-the-making-of-killzone-shadow-fall

--------------------------------
Observations since then:
Contrast isn't a bad looking game, it's a shame the driving one called Driveclub didn't come instead though (delayed as for that matter Watchdogs has too). Contrast has very limited playability, nice idea, flawed final product.

The problem with killzone is the lipsync. There are a few low res textures dotted around, but overall the graphics are a major step up.

AC4 is great fun. You can tell that it's been written for 7th generation consoles, but it still looks substantially better than the ps3 (and to a lesser extent xbox 360 and wii u) version(s).

On this basis as speculated, it would be great to see a GTA V mod sometime next spring.

Forza 5 in my opinion is a bit odd. In some ways I don't think it's a huge upgrade from 4. The most disappointing game. The cars look very nice, but the crowds and some of the scenery is very static or doesn't seem as big a wow factor as it should be.

-----------------------------------
The other night my xbox 360 got a netflix update (hadn't been on it for a while) and it's had a gigantic reworking. The UI looks completely different and gone is the mid 2000s look and feel and clunkty sluggishness. Now is an ultra modern and zippy UI.

Last edited:

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Forgot to say it's really amusing watching your friends play games streaming over Twitch :laugh:!

The severe logging in and account problems went after launch day.

Other aspects like the new servers are impressive, we clocked speeds of 80Mbs. The other aspect was the old annoying queueing system on the PS3 was gone. It just downloaded five different things at once.

The new console is er, well very quiet vs the George Foreman grill version of the PS3. Obviously I can't make a comparison with the slim.

The new pads are quite different. Gone is the pointiness that blighted every playstation console and made the pads nasty to hold for prolonged periods of time. The new pads aren't brilliant but not bad. The sticks are much improved.

PSvita sync with the ps4 works.

welsh dragon

cheers for that, great reading

Yes it was excellent. Makes quite a change to have discussions without all the hassle and arguments that seem to take over. Many thanks gentlemen. Most enjoyable thread with a lot of information.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Do you have to pay to play online with ps4? i know you dont with ps3
Yes, PS4 online play now requires the PSN+ membership = about £4.00 month.

The one payment allows access to PSN+ on all Sony platforms (PS3/PS4/Vita) and comes with at least a couple of free games each month on each platform.
The currently available ones are :
PS4 - Contrast: OK platform/puzzle game.
Resogun - Superb "defender" clone.
PS3 - XCOM Enemy Unknown - Cracking strategy game/shooter
Uncharted 3 - Platfomer
Grid 2 - Racing game
Little Big Planet Karting
Vita - GTA Liberty City Stories
Uncharted - Golden Abyss
Sonic Racing

Plus a couple of indy games on the PS3 (cant remember names). The games are available for "purchase" for a month or so (the purchase is free, but you have to download the game when available).. after that you can play as long as you continue to be a PSN+ member (and can re-download older games you "purchased" when they were available)..

You don't need to pay for PSN+ to play single player or to access the non-gaming utilities like LoveFilm/Netflix (unlike the XBone which requires MS Gold membership to access these apps).

Have to admit so far I'm very impressed with the PS4, and the PSN+ membership seems much more worth while than the Xbox Gold (which I've just cancelled).

welsh dragon

Yes, PS4 online play now requires the PSN+ membership = about £4.00 month.

The one payment allows access to PSN+ on all Sony platforms (PS3/PS4/Vita) and comes with at least a couple of free games each month on each platform.
The currently available ones are :
PS4 - Contrast: OK platform/puzzle game.
Resogun - Superb "defender" clone.
PS3 - XCOM Enemy Unknown - Cracking strategy game/shooter
Uncharted 3 - Platfomer
Grid 2 - Racing game
Little Big Planet Karting
Vita - GTA Liberty City Stories
Uncharted - Golden Abyss
Sonic Racing

Plus a couple of indy games on the PS3 (cant remember names). The games are available for "purchase" for a month or so (the purchase is free, but you have to download the game when available).. after that you can play as long as you continue to be a PSN+ member (and can re-download older games you "purchased" when they were available)..

You don't need to pay for PSN+ to play single player or to access the non-gaming utilities like LoveFilm/Netflix (unlike the XBone which requires MS Gold membership to access these apps).

Have to admit so far I'm very impressed with the PS4, and the PSN+ membership seems much more worth while than the Xbox Gold (which I've just cancelled).

Excellent review. Many thanks

Top Bottom