Yanny vs Laurel - which do you hear?

Which do you hear?

• Laurel

Votes: 28 51.9%
  • Yanny

Votes: 26 48.1%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
That's reassuring as even after all that techno I still don't hear 'laurel'. What I do hear is 'yearly' or 'yelly' or something. So out of the two options it's 'yanny', but in a stupid accent and not what I would have said had it not been written down in front of me.

Has anybody tried the Mariah Carey Christmas one?
Durrrrr...I got it the wrong way around

Old farts hear "Yanny", young bucks hear "Laurel"

Son#2 says "How can you possibly hear Yanny, he's saying Laurel. It's nothing like Yanny"

OP
OP
MossCommuter

Son#2 says "How can you possibly hear Yanny, he's saying Laurel. It's nothing like Yanny"
This old fart hears "Laurel"

swee'pea99

Legendary Member

Not according to that Independent story:

"The difference seems to arise because the voice that says "Laurel" is deeper than the one that says "Yanny". So people will be predisposed to hearing one or the other, for a variety of reasons.

Younger people, for instance, are generally better at hearing higher sounds. So younger people will be more likely to hear the Yanny voice."

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Yerry

Levo-Lon

Guru
Isn't this similar to the music frequency played in public ares to deter groups of youths.

They play something kids will hate at a certain pitch.
Older people cant hear it but the kids teens can and usually disperse.

winjim

Smash the cistern
OK, I just put my fingers in my ears to see if it would change and now I can only hear 'laurel', even though I've taken them out again.

I need to change my vote.
Right, I went away for a bit, listened to Hole on the radio and now it says 'yanny' again.

I'm forty years old so I was a teenager when 'Live Through This' came out. Maybe that's got something to do with it...

At first I heard Yanny, on the radio, playing through hifi. Then I heard Laurel, playing from a web site on a laptop. The same web site version played through the hifi gives me Yanny again and that's totally consistent on playing it in each way five times. Interesting, and I can't vote since I can hear both depending on the medium used.

Top Bottom